A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Tuesday, September 14, 2004

The Beginning

I've thought about starting a blog for a few months now, and I've decided to take the plunge. Books play a big part in my leisure time, so they'll be a significant focus. I'll also write about scrapbooking, one of my other hobbies, and whatever else comes up.

I took the day off work today. I woke up feeling tired, though "tired" is too mild a word. So I called in sick. I'm looking forward to taking a nap in a few hours. After making the call, I went back to bed and finished a book I started last night: Mr. Family by Margot Early. I made a trip to the used bookstore yesterday, and this was one of my purchases. It uses a modern spin of the mail-order bride theme in a Hawaiian setting. Though I don't know much about Hawaiian culture, it seems to be authentically portrayed in this book. The hero is compelling. I'd rate this book at 4 out of 5.

Speaking of ratings, I'm a reviewer at The Romance Reader website. I've been reviewing books for a little more than a year. I enjoy it most of the time, though there are weeks when work is so demanding that the thought of writing a review--or doing anything related to writing--is almost painful. That's not the case now, however. Summer tends to be the busiest time of year for me at work, and now that fall has arrived, I feel like I have a little more free time. I should finish a review in the next few days. The book is Linda Lael Miller's Don't Look Now. Despite its improbable suspense plot, I really enjoyed it. I particularly like the hero, Tony Sonterra, so I was pleased to learn that he and Clare (the heroine) will be the focus of two more books. The second in the series is available now, and I have it on hold at the library.

I've been trying to read Christine Feehan's Mind Game for the past week or so. I read about 20 pages or so and then put it down again, which is unusual for me. I'm just not getting into it. I'm hoping to finish it this week--I like to finish books that I start even if that means I have to skim the rest. I'm not planning to skim Mind Game, but I'm ready to put it behind me.

I spent much of the weekend scrapbooking. In August, I went to Maryland for three days to attend a book signing, then spent another three days in Minnesota to visit a friend of mine. I went to the Utah Shakespearean Festival over Labor Day weekend, so I have a number of vacation photos to "scrap," a term that confuses people who don't scrapbook. "Scrapping" is the process that starts with photos and ends with completed scrapbook pages. I did 6 vacation pages. I haven't scanned them yet, but I have scanned a few pages from the book signing:

Book Signing, Page 1
Book Signing, Page 2

Hope you enjoy!

Alyssa

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home