A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Romance Reading: A History

The first book I remember reading is Pippi Longstocking, a book I received when I won a reading contest in first grade. After that, I read just about anything I could find. By the time I started high school, I was alternating classics with teen romances. Quite a combination, I know, but I had to read something light after my required reading for school. Right before I went to college, I got a summer job at a used bookstore, and suddenly I had access to thousands of books. This changed my world. I tried Regencies, historical romance, and series, and soon developed a list of favorite authors. Though I didn't have that job long, my enjoyment of romance novels continued.

For several years, I stuck with the authors I trusted, along with the occasional new-to-me author. Usually I'd stumble across a book at the used bookstore or library that seemed interesting. You can imagine how that turned out--in between the occasional treasure or the completely hideous read were several interesting books and a number of forgettable ones.

Last year, I discovered romance review websites, and my reading world changed again. I had access to reviews that discussed plots and offered ratings. I started reviewing books, and I tried other new-to-me authors. It amazes me now when I think that two years ago, I had never read a book by Nora Roberts. I also discovered authors such as Rachel Gibson, Justine Davis, and Suzanne Brockmann.

It's been a fun journey. I buy many more new books these days, but I've been more pleased with the results, which is more than I can say for years past.

Alyssa

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home