A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Saturday, March 05, 2005

Jill Shalvis

I'm not a particularly adventurous reader. By adventurous, I'm not referring to the sensuality level of a book. What I mean is that I tend to stick with authors that I know I like. Every now and then I'll try someone new--to me, at least--with mixed results. Sometimes it doesn't work out (When the Lights Go Out . . .), but other times I find an author that I really enjoy. Jill Shalvis is my most recent fun find.

It started when I read Men of Courage II and liked Shalvis's story. When I saw that she had a book giveaway at her blog, I didn't hesitate. I sent the SASE and got Seduce Me, a Harlequin Temptation title, in the mail. It was even better than I'd hoped: 4.5 out of 5. The characters are unique. Sam (Samantha) owns and runs a cafe along the beach where she can surf. Jack is a former professional basketball player. I love how well rounded they are. I enjoyed the story very much, and I appreciate it even more after reading a less-satisfying book by a different author. Shalvis gets so many things right. Her characters are real people with real strengths and weaknesses.

I also like the small touches she adds to her books. I checked out Back in the Bedroom from the library, and the heroine keeps thinking about how she wants someone who is a "beta man." The hero is an alpha, of course, though he has some beta moments. This reference amused me and made me realize that things like this are what make characters come alive. Back in the Bedroom rates 4 out of 5.

I made a used bookstore run this afternoon. (As if I need more books. But that's a different story.) I picked up several more of Shalvis's books: Natural Blond Instincts, A Prince of a Guy, Out of the Blue, and For the Love of Nick. That might tide me over for a while. :) Actually, I will probably try to spread them out a bit over the next few months.

It's nice to find authors I enjoy.

Alyssa

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At March 06, 2005 8:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, this post my day. I'm so glad you've enjoyed my books!

 
At March 08, 2005 9:15 PM, Blogger Alyssa said...

Jill,

I'm glad I discovered your work and that I made your day. :)

Alyssa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home