A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Saturday, March 05, 2005

When the Lights Go Out . . .

Barbara Daly's When the Lights Go Out . . . is one of those books with silly punctuation at the end of the title. It's also pretty frustrating: 1.5 out of 5.

Blythe Padgett's roommate wants to set her up on a blind date. Blythe refuses and plans to head home when the power goes out in the city. After making the long walk home, she finds a man stuck in an elevator in her apartment building. They work together to get him out of the elevator. Once they succeed, he says he's there for a blind date with a woman on her floor, so she invites him into her apartment. Things heat up from there.

This book is from Harlequin Temptation's The Wrong Bed series. I've enjoyed many books in this series, and I know not to expect realism from the story, but this one is more implausible than most. Blythe is getting over a bad relationship, so her roommate wants to set her up with someone just to have sex. Once Blythe and Max have sex, Blythe discovers that he was her roommate's blind date. In the meantime, the couple has fallen into very serious like (if not love), even though they know next to nothing about each other.

I'm not sure if this book is trying to be zany fun, but if so, it doesn't succeed. Blythe's roommate comes across as a caricature, as does the man (not Max) who was supposed to be Blythe's blind date. But Max and Blythe aren't exactly well-rounded characters, either. There's a lot of talking going on in this book, but no one says what he really thinks. And I still don't know why Blythe and Max fall in love.

Before I had finished even a third of the book, I knew I probably wouldn't enjoy it. Most of the time I finish books I start, though, even if I don't like them. It takes an awful lot to get me to stop reading a book with no intention of finishing it. I finished this one because I wanted to be able to say that I read the whole thing.

On to something else. I went to a friend's house last night, and we had a scrapbooking party. I did three pages.

Tampa--This will be the first page in an album. I don't think I have enough photos to make an entire album about the Target Tampa weekend event, but I might be surprised. If not, I'll put it in a vacation or book signing album.

Valentine Signing--This uses the picture from the Rachel Gibson signing. I don't actually know the woman on the left; the man who took my picture invited her to join the photo because she was also at the table. So there she is. He took another photo with just me and Rachel Gibson (who is on the right, by the way), but it's not a flattering picture of either of us. I didn't have room on this layout to write everything I wanted, so I may write more on a tag and tuck it behind the picture.

Prehistoric Beauty--The photo is one of those funky pictures where your face is added to a stock head and body. I got the picture during a trip while I was in high school. I've been wanting to scrapbook this one for some time, and I finally found a cool background paper that goes well with it.

My next post will be about another Temptation author, one whose books I am enjoying.

Alyssa

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At March 06, 2005 7:39 AM, Blogger Wendy said...

I've enjoyed Daly's work in the past, but admittedly haven't read WHEN THE LIGHTS GO OUT... Something about the wrong bed series turns me off, so I've avoided it completely.

If you'd be willing to give Daly another shot - I enjoyed A LONG HOT CHRISTMAS (review over at TRR) and more recently MISTLETOE OVER MANHATTAN. MOM was great because (get this) the hero is determined to win the heroine's respect. He wants to prove to her he's a good lawyer and more than a pretty face.

When was a the last time you read in a romance novel that the HERO wants to earn the heroine's respect? Usually his main concern is getting some......LOL

 
At March 08, 2005 9:12 PM, Blogger Alyssa said...

I know, I know, the Wrong Bed series thing is a sickness . . .

If I remember correctly, I checked Mistletoe over Manhattan out of the library, started reading, but couldn't bring myself to finish it. Oh dear. Wish I could remember why . . . Well, we can't agree on everything, I suppose. :)

Alyssa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home