A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Evolution

"If you even lived 10 minutes in my head, you would run screaming."
--Alyssa

One of my coworkers has a quote board where she writes down quotes that she finds amusing. The quote above is from me, though I can't remember the exact circumstances. In any case, it seems appropriate for this blog entry, which will give you a glimpse into my head.

Now that my Romancing the Blog column is online, I thought it might be interesting to describe the evolution of a paragraph. Here is the original version:

While I like the FPS trend, I also appreciate what it suggests: (1) that some authors are trying different approaches; (2) that some editors and publishers are allowing or encouraging experimentation; and (3) that some readers are open to the new and interesting. I hope all three things are true and that more new ideas and trends will follow, whether they use a unique setting, character, or point of view.

This was the version I had until last Saturday. Though I had planned to go with this paragraph, I didn't really like it much. I wanted to make a broader point with my column, but I decided that the first-person trend isn't significant enough to lead to the conclusions I listed. I recognized this at the time and tried to counter it by using "some" in all three points. However, the fact that I had to qualify the conclusions that way meant that I needed to go in a different direction.

So here's the second version:

While I like the FPS trend, not every story should be told in first-person. What I want is for the author to stay true to her story--that's what makes it come alive for readers. And if that story happens to use a unique setting, character, or point of view, that's great. I look forward to seeing what new ideas and trends will come next.

When I reread this last night, the two middle sentences sounded like generic blah, blah, blah, so I revised it to put my voice back into it. This is the final version:

I like the FPS trend, but I don't think that every story should be told in first-person. As a reader, I really want only one thing: a good story. If that story uses a unique setting, character, or point of view, I'm all for it. Bring on the new and unique. I look forward to seeing what trends will come next.

Are you screaming yet? I hope not, but you can't say I didn't warn you. ;) You'll be pleased to know I don't usually spend so much time revising one paragraph. However, I spend considerable time writing, reviewing, and editing. I'm a bit more casual here at my blog, but I think this is why I don't write as many TRR reviews as I'd like. Good writing takes time--for me, anyway.

Alyssa

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home