A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Really Hot!

Today I have been burning a new candle scent, and it's now one of my favorites: Grapefruit Blossom. Very nice.

Barely Behaving was my first Jennifer LaBrecque read, and I remember liking but not loving it. I loved Better Than Chocolate . . ., though, so I picked up Really Hot! when it came out in February. It's part of a series about reality TV. There's enough explanation that it works well on its own, but it includes a spoiler from one of the previous stories.

I have to admit that I haven't relished the recent romance trend of reality TV settings. I'm not a big fan of reality TV myself, except for Dog, The Bounty Hunter (which probably says something scary about me). Even that I watch sporadically. I probably wouldn't have picked up this book if LaBrecque weren't the author. That would have been a bad thing, because I would have missed a good story: 4 out of 5.

Rourke O'Malley is the star of a new reality series where 12 women will vie for his attention. He was a runner up in a previous show with the opposite scenario, but his good looks and charisma make him an ideal focus for a show of his own. These same qualities also bring him to the attention of associate producer Portia Tomlinson.

Really Hot! uses some familiar elements of romance--a heroine who had only one other lover, was burned by him, and vows not to trust anyone--but LaBrecque breathes new life into the characters. Portia could have been a stereotype, but she's not. She's a multidimensional woman.

Rourke is the perfect man for her. Down to earth yet charming, he's single-minded in his interest in Portia. I enjoyed reading about both characters.

This is the book I'm giving away in this week's contest. Just post a comment between April 12 and April 17, and you'll be entered in the contest. (Limit one entry per person.)

Alyssa

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At April 15, 2005 5:16 AM, Blogger Stephanie Tyler said...

I stumbled on Dog: Bounty Hunter for the first time the other night. And I ended up watching two episodes in a row.*g*

 
At April 16, 2005 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say that I have a grapefruit blossom candle that I LOVE ...

 
At April 16, 2005 8:17 PM, Blogger Alyssa said...

Steph, that's great that you liked Dog. I tried to tape it but my tape didn't work. :( Oh well, I live for reruns.

BJ, yes, I did read Getting Real. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I usually love Thompson's short stories, and that was the case here. LaBrecque's was good too.

Jill, wow, I didn't know there were grapefruit blossom candles out there. That's cool!

Alyssa

 
At April 16, 2005 8:59 PM, Blogger Alyssa said...

OK, I meant I didn't know that there were other grapefruit blossom candles out there. This is the first time I'd seen one.

Alyssa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home