A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Monday, May 02, 2005

A Blog's Influence

A number of bloggers are talking about the effects (if any) blogging has on reader buying habits. Melissa Senate's column at Romancing the Blog got the latest round going. Jorie summarized the discussions she's seen on the subject, so I'll just link to her rather than be repetitive.

I've actually blogged about this before, but I decided to revisit the topic as it seems to be of interest. Yes, reading an author's blog can spark an interest in their books. It's about name recognition, and in most cases, that's a good thing. I've bought and read several books with this method:

  • Arm Candy by Jo Leigh: Tried it, liked it, now I buy her books.

  • The Bane Affair by Alison Kent: I read Alison's blog, read the book excerpt, and ordered the book. I loved it, and I've bought the subsequent SG-5 books.

  • Finding Hope by Brenda Coulter: I was interested enough after reading her blog to look for her book at the used bookstore.

  • Love Is All Around by Lori Devoti: I saw this book at the store last week, remembered her name from her blog and from Romancing the Blog, and bought the book. I haven't read it yet.

  • Seduce Me by Jill Shalvis: I visited her blog and received Seduce Me in a giveaway. Now I buy her books.

  • Wicked Women on Top by Tina Donahue, Jen Nicholas, and Jordan Summers: I was at the bookstore trying to decide which Brava anthology to buy. Most of the authors were ones I hadn't read. I settled on this one because I remembered reading Jordan Summers's blog and I wanted to try one of her books.


I've also bought books after reading a review at a reader's blog. I've done this more times than I can count.

As for whether I am turned off of an author because of her blog: yes. So far, it's happened once. Not because I disagreed with her political leanings or religious beliefs. If I only read books by people I agreed with, my TBR would be seriously diminished. (Though a smaller TBR pile might be a good thing . . .) What this particular author did was made huge generalizations and slammed an entire group of people. She has a right to her opinion and she exercised that right, but she ensured that I'll never be one of her readers. She's got name recognition, all right, but I use that recognition to stay far away from her books.

An author's blog can be a powerful tool.

Alyssa

Labels:

1 Comments:

At May 02, 2005 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No matter the reason--Thanks so much for giving Love is All Around a try. I hope you like it. :)
Lori

 

Post a Comment

<< Home