A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Sunday, February 05, 2006

TBR Challenge: Enchanted, Inc.

This month's TBR challenge is to read a book by an author you haven't read before. I decided to pick up a book I bought at last year's RWA signing.

Title
Enchanted, Inc.

Katie Chandler had always heard that New York is a weird and wonderful place, but this small-town Texas gal had no idea how weird until she moved there. Everywhere she goes, she sees something worth gawking at, and Katie is afraid she's a little too normal to make a spash in the big city. Working for an ogre of a boss doesn't help either.

Then, seemingly out of the blue, Katie gets a job offer from Magic, Spells, and Illusions, Inc., a company that sells tricks of the trade to the magic community. For MSI, Katie's ordinariness is an asset. Lacking any bit of magic, she can easily spot a fake spell, catch hidden clauses in competitor's contracts, and detect magically disguised intruders. Suddenly, average Katie is very special indeed.

She quickly learns that office politics are even more complicated when your new boss is a real ogre, and you have a crush on the sexy, shy, ultrapowerful head of the R&D department, who is so busy fighting an evil competitor threatening to sell black magic on the street that he seems barely to notice Katie. Now it's up to Katie to pull
off the impossible: save the world and--hopefully--live happily ever after.

Author
Shanna Swendson

Year Published
2005

Why did you get this book?
I read a blog entry about it by Nicole, who recommended it. I thought the premise sounded interesting, so I put it on my list to try. When I met Swendson at RWA, I bought the book.

Do you like the cover?
For the most part, yes. It conveys a mood that's similar to the one in the book. But the woman's hair is a little weird, even for a cartoon cover.

Did you enjoy the book?
Yes, and I rate it 4 out of 5. It's told in first-person from Katie's point of view, and I like Katie. She's kind of an everywoman, so it was easy to relate to her. I like the New York Swendson creates, too. I got a kick out of the strange things Katie sees and dismisses as too strange.

Owen is the "sexy, shy, ultrapowerful" R&D man mentioned in the blurb. I like the dichotomy in the shy and ultrapowerful--and he's definitely both--although the man does blush an awful lot. You don't see that very often in a man. It would have been interesting to get into his head, but the POV prevents that.

Would you read something by this author again?
Yes. I will probably buy the next book in the series at next year's RWA.

Are you keeping it or passing it on?
Keeping it.

Anything else?
Just that I add my recommendation to Nicole's. It's a light, fun read.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At February 16, 2006 1:03 PM, Blogger Alyssa said...

I'm looking forward to it, too. Looking forward to seeing Owen again.

 
At March 09, 2006 4:04 PM, Blogger Shanna Swendson said...

I remember you! I'm glad you liked the book.

The next one is coming out in April now (they moved up the publication date to April 25).

I guess I'll look for you at RWA this summer!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home