Magic Study
Maria Snyder's Poison Study was one of the most memorable books I read last year. The sequel, Magic Study, is quite good too: 4 out of 5.
With her greatest enemy dead, and on her way to be reunited with the family she'd been stolen from long ago, Yelena should be pleased. But though she has gained her freedom, she can't help feeling isolated in Sitia. Her Ixian background has changed her in many ways--and her newfound friends and relatives don't think it's for the better . . .
Despite the turmoil, she's eager to start her magic training--especially as she's been given one year to harness her power or be put to death. But her plans take a radical turn when she becomes involved with a plot to reclaim Ixia's throne for a lost prince--and gets entangled in powerful rivalries with her fellow magicians.
If that wasn't bad enough, it appears her brother would love to see her dead. Luckily, Yelena has some old friends to help her with all her new enemies . . .
It was nice to revisit Yelena's world and see how she handled new adventures. She is progressing nicely as a character, and I enjoyed seeing her cope in situations where she had more control. In Poison Study, Yelena's actions are restricted by her circumstances; here, she has more freedom. She does make some choices that seem a little reckless when I look back on them, but Snyder does a good job of making these decisions seem logical for the story and the character.
And Valek. He's terrific. I just wish he'd been in the story longer. The man is dynamic, and I loved every page that included him.
Snyder also introduces some elements in this book that make me curious about how they will play out in the future. Now, I just have to wait for Fire Study, the next book in the series.
Labels: 4.0 reviews, paranormal reviews, q-s reviews
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home