A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Saturday, May 05, 2007

And Able

I've become a fan of Lucy Monroe, so I grabbed And Able when I saw it. It's a bit of a mixed read: 3 out of 5.

Claire Sharp trusts few people and relies on no one. But after her life is threatened, ex-mercenary Brett Adams blows into her self-contained world, full of southern charm, rugged good looks, and enough sexual experience to write a how-to manual . . . experience he makes it clear he'd like to use on Claire. She wants help fighting the bad guys, but she's not about to fall into Brett's bed. For one thing, the guy has a no-commitment clause that would stump most big-shot attorneys, and for another, despite her response to his sensual kisses, in Claire's experience sex isn't exactly fireworks and brass bands. Definitely not worth getting too excited over . . .

Brett plans to prove her wrong. He's never felt such a powerful combination of lust and friendship with a woman. He'll give her a white-hot pleasure like nothing she's ever known and she'll realize that some things in life are worth every risk. When the threat to Claire grows dangerously close, pitting them against deadly odds, Brett will do whatever it takes to save her. Because Claire Sharp has just found herself a man who's ready to bring it on, willing to do what it takes, and able to go the distance . . .

And Able is nicely written and features Monroe's trademark emotional storytelling. She has a way of getting you to care about her characters quickly; not every writer can do that.

Yet even as I was becoming engrossed in Brett and Claire's story, I found it a bit too predictable. After one scene between the two, I thought, "This is how their story will play out." And I was right.

Now, you expect a happily-ever-after ending from romance; that's not the kind of predictability I'm talking about. I mean I anticipated several plot points before they happened, and this lessened the effect of the story for me.

I do like Monroe's books, though, so this won't keep me from buying them.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home