A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Wednesday, September 29, 2004

The Devil Earl

On Monday, I read The Devil Earl by Deborah Simmons. I was intrigued by the premise: Prudence Lancaster writes gothic novels and becomes inspired by the tall, dark, and handsome hero, Ravenscar, who is known as the Devil Earl. When his brother disappears, many people suspect that Ravenscar had something to do with his disappearance. Prudence doesn't believe this, and she embarks on a mission to save his reputation.

I enjoyed the first half of the book very much. This is the second of Simmons's books I read--the first was The Vicar's Daughter, which I would rate 4 out of 5. Simmons has a knack for bringing her characters to life, and I found that to be the case with The Devil Earl. About halfway through, however, the story loses steam. I was far more interested in the book when it focused on Prudence and Ravenscar and less interested when the mystery of his brother took center stage. In the end, I'd give The Devil Earl 3 out of 5.

Alyssa

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At September 30, 2004 8:47 AM, Blogger Rosario said...

I had a similar experience with this one. I really enjoyed most of it, but it would have been much better if Simmons had just chopped the final 50 or so pages.

 
At October 01, 2004 12:22 PM, Blogger Alyssa said...

It sounds like we have similar responses in a number of cases. I have a number of other Deborah Simmons books; are there any you would recommend?

:)
Alyssa

 
At October 04, 2004 4:06 PM, Blogger Rosario said...

Alyssa, I've read quite a few good ones of hers. The one I've liked best is The Last Rogue, which has a hero who's a bit of a dandy. Her medievals are also really good, they start with Taming the Wolf, but my favourite was the second one in the series, The de Burgh Bride.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home