A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Midnight Run

Here's the last book I read in 2005: Midnight Run by Lisa Marie Rice. It's a good one to end on, although it's not perfect: 4 out of 5. Before I explain why, I'll give the summary:

Claire Parks has been very sick, but she's fine now--just fine--and ready to paint the town red. Well, pink. On her first excursion into the wild world of dating, she meets Bud, a tall, sexy, good-looking lumberjack. She won him fair and square, her prize for not dying. But after a weekend of wild sex, she discovers he's not what she thinks he is.

Undercover police office Lieutenant Tyler "Bud" Morrison can't believe his eyes. What's a 'princess' doing in a dance club known for its rough trade? She needs rescuing, and rescuing women is what Bud does best. He saw Claire first--finders keepers. After a weekend of the hottest sex he's ever had, he's definitely keeping this one. When trouble comes her way, he pulls out all the stops to protect her. Except Claire doesn't want Bud at her back. She wants him in her bed.

The first part of Midnight Run is very, very good. I love romances where the hero falls for the heroine in a big way, and Bud's fall is a considerable one. Rice does a terrific job of portraying how Bud, who is usually passionate but controlled with women, completely loses control with Claire.

I love one scene in particular that really emphasizes what he feels for Claire. After Bud and Claire establish that he has always used a condom in the past, and she is on the pill, he responds immediately to the thought of being inside her without a condom. I might add this to my list of favorite love scenes--not because Bud shows particular finesse; in fact, he shows the complete opposite of finesse, but his thoughts make the scene memorable.

If the story had continued in this vein, it probably would have received a 5, but it takes a turn midway through. At that point, two elements are introduced: first, Bud becomes overprotective after learning about Claire's illness from her father; and second, the suspense aspect of Midnight Man (the first book in the series) intrudes.

I use the word "intrudes" deliberately, because although the suspense affects Bud and Claire, they aren't really the center of it. At first, it was interesting to get their point of view, but it ultimately doesn't add anything new. We hear how the events of Midnight Man affect them, but there's no real sense of danger. I say this, having read Midnight Man. I suspect, though I can't be sure, that someone reading this book without having read the previous one would be a little frustrated by how peripheral Bud and Claire are to this particular part of the story.

Then there's Bud's overprotectiveness. At first I was annoyed with it, and then I was annoyed with Bud and Claire. All they needed to do was sit down and talk about it, and the issue would have been resolved. So ultimately, I liked the book, but had problems with the second half. I'm still looking forward to the next one. I'm just waiting for it to be available in print.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At January 01, 2006 1:33 PM, Blogger Rosario said...

Your assessment completely agrees with mine. I adored the first half, but the second was problematic, for the exact reasons you mention. The scene with the "chat" between Bud and Claire's father is absolutely horrible.

 
At January 01, 2006 11:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, it's like you and Rosario are talking in secret code (i.e., I finally saw the author's last name listed in one of the paragraphs.)

 
At January 01, 2006 11:30 PM, Blogger Alyssa said...

Rosario, I didn't have as vehement a reaction to the chat itself, although I did want to hit both men over the head.

P. Devi, that wasn't at all my intent. Apparently I'm still recovering with my flu bout. I've gone back and added the author's full name. Note to self: duh!

 
At January 03, 2006 11:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Alyssa! I was teasing both of you...I totally guessed the author because Rosario has blogged so much about Rice's books.

I probably did come across as cranky in the comments at this other blog's entry with the same issue. Hey, I just wanna know the authors of these books you guys like, so I can add them to my TBR pile!

P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home