A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Hard Evidence

After reading and liking Pamela Clare's Extreme Exposure, I was excited to read Hard Evidence. It has some good moments but isn't as strong as its predecessor: 3 out of 5.

After the murder of a teenage girl, a mysterious man in a black leather jacket was seen lurking near the crime scene. Investigative reporter Tessa Novak has him in her sights as the culprit . . .

That man was Julian Darcangelo, an undercover FBI agent working with the Denver police. He's closing in on the trail of a human trafficker and killer. Tessa's accusations could blow his cover, and he wants her off the investigation.

But just as Tessa has made Julian a target of interest, she is now a target of the killer. And as they are forced to trust each other, their physical attraction escalates as intensely as the threat from a ruthless murder who wants to see both of them dead . . .

Tessa is the book's biggest challenge. I can sum up her character in one word: frustrating. She witnesses a murder and receives a number of warnings, but she continues to barrel forward with her investigation. I just didn't quite get why she was so persistent when backing off a bit would have been safer. I understand that she wants justice for the murdered girl, but she seems bent on pursuing that her way, and it led her into danger more than once. It's true that journalism can be a dangerous business, but I thought she could have achieved her ends in a safer way.

Late in the story, Tessa receives some doctored photos showing her head on a multilated body. She tells Julian she hadn't known anyone would do something like that to a woman. This seems like a strange comment for an investigative reporter to make. She's on the crime beat, and she hadn't realized how bad people could be? Maybe I've watched too many episodes of American Justice, but still . . .

Despite the challenge of Tessa, I did enjoy some things about the story. The romance itself is good, with steamy and well-written love scenes. Julian is intriguing, and I liked the way Clare slowly reveals his history.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At January 03, 2007 10:54 AM, Blogger Wendy said...

Well you fall in the middle ;-) I loathed this book (grading it a D) and KristieJ really liked it a lot (I want to say 4.5 out of 5).

I liked Julian quite a bit, except for the minor fact that he was attracted to Tessa Novak, Girl Reporter. This was a case where the TSTL heroine ruined the book for me. I liked Clare's writing style, and the plot was good - but Tessa! Argh!

And what was up with the unprotected sex? I couldn't get over the fact that given both Julian's and Tessa's backgrounds that they dive right into sex without even using a condom. Color me silly.

 
At January 03, 2007 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm curious -- are you writing any books at the moment? (You have a nice flow to your writing...)
Bill
http://drbillsharleywisdom.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home