A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Thursday, March 10, 2005

Arm Candy

The problem with regularly working 10+ hours a day is that I turn into a strange, not-quite-human creature that's incapable of much thought. Since I am feeling almost human at the moment, I decided to go with the feeling and blog about a book.

Jo Leigh's Arm Candy has a unique premise: Jessica's married boss won't accept that she's not interested in an affair, so she comes up with an idea--show him that she's involved with someone else. The problem is that she has devoted so much time to her career that her personal life has suffered. She isn't dating anyone. Enter Dan, the friend of a friend, who's willing to step into the role.

Sexual harassment is a serious issue, and Leigh treats it as such. Jessica has valid reasons for not wanting to report him. The way the subplot with her boss plays out is very satisfying.

The book's focus, however, is the relationship between Dan and Jessica, which is nicely portrayed. Their chemistry builds as they get to know each other and it continues after their relationship becomes physical. It's an adult story because it doesn't rely on gimmicks or on characters playing games with each other. It's about two adults with real emotions and real issues. Arm Candy receives 4 out of 5.

In other book news, I've experienced an amazing run of luck with contests lately. I received two prizes today and look forward to enjoying them.

Alyssa

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At March 11, 2005 4:09 PM, Blogger Wendy said...

And here I thought I was the only one! A "strange, not-quite-human creature that’s incapable of much thought" that is ;-) My advice? Read something suitably trashy (erotica always does it for me) and crack open a bottle of wine. It's amazing how even a semi-decent bottle of wine can make me make me feel better about my job and life. Now onto my second glass....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home