A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Saturday, June 18, 2005

Another Bookstore Conversation

I may have to stop going to bookstores, since they result in strange conversations with employees. I was at the mall getting some perfume (Clinique's Happy), and decided to stop at Waldenbooks. I had made a quick run through romance and was looking at the Ellora's Cave paperbacks.

Entirely Too-Perky Employee: How are you doing? Are you finding everything?

Alyssa: (Wants to be left alone to puruse the options) Yes, I'm fine.

Employee: (Looks at Jaci Burton's Summer Heat, which I have in my hand) Have you read any of Ann Rice's books?

Alyssa: (Knows this is going to turn into a conversation) No.

Employee: (Reaches down to pull out a boxed set) They are written under a psuedonym, but I don't know how to say the last name.

Alyssa: (Has heard about these books and wants the conversation to stop now)

Employee: This one is three parts. It's a retelling of Sleeping Beauty, but instead of being woken with a kiss, he wakes her with . . . well, you know.

Alyssa: (Doesn't know the details and would prefer to remain in ignorance) Huh.

Employee: She's taken to a kingdom where she is taught to obey with, you know . . .

Alyssa: (Starts to worry about whether anyone else is listening in on this conversation)

Employee: . . . spanking and stuff.

Alyssa: (Feels face turning red)

Employee: The story is great. But some of the stuff is extreme--well, I ended up talking to my mom about it.

Alyssa: (Feels brain explode while envisioning the conversation between this woman in her 20s and her mother)

Employee: (Smiles widely and holds up Sleeping Beauty) We're having a buy-four-get-one-free sale.

Alyssa: (Hopes to move the conversation along quickly) Cool. That's great. I'll keep looking, then.

Employee: If you buy this set, you'll already have three books.

Alyssa: (Decides it's time to continue to another section of the store)

Employee: Just let me know when you're ready, and I'll manipulate the computer to get that discount.

The five books I ended up buying (and this employee did ring up my order): one Ellora's Cave (Summer Heat), one anthology, one mystery, one Harlequin Presents, and one true-crime. No Sleeping Beauty.

I think the employee was disappointed.

Alyssa

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home