A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Fly on the Wall

I'm still pretty excited about the Books Lost and Found group, so I made a trip to another used bookstore yesterday. In addition to finding several books for others, I found 10 books for myself, including Cheyenne McCray's Wildfire.



If you had been a fly on the wall, you would have heard the following conversation.

Employee #1, whom I see regularly in the store; we often engage in small talk: (Calculates the order) Wow, that's a different cover.

Alyssa: Yes, it is unique.

Employee #1: (Picks it up to examine it more closely) Yes, it's . . . it's . . . I don't know how to describe it. (Calls out to employee #2, whom I've never seen before) Hey, check out this cover.

Employee #2: Yeah, I've seen it. It's pretty weird.

Alyssa: (Wonders if this is employee #2's usual approach to selling books) It's an e-book.

Employee #2: Huh?

Alyssa: (Realizes she knows far more about romance novels than employee #2 does) It's a print version of an e-book. I recognize the author's name and thought I'd try it.

Employee #1: You know the author?

Alyssa: (Decides the term "blog" would be a bit complicated to explain) I recognize the name because she has an online journal.

Employee #1: She does?

Alyssa: (Realizes she knows far more about the online romance community than employee #1 does) Yes. I have an online journal too, actually, where I write about the books I read.

Employee #2: Huh. I think I remember seeing another weird cover like that one. (Goes off to find it)

Alyssa: (Marvels at this new selling approach) Uh, OK.

Employee #1: I think it's an interesting cover. The people look . . . almost metallic.

Alyssa: (Wonders if employee #1 will get the joke) Yes, they do appear somewhat statuesque.

Employee #2: (Returns) Actually, that's the book. I thought there was another one like it, but that's the one.

Alyssa: (Avoids rolling eyes)

Employee #1: You'll have to tell us if you like the book. It looks pretty interesting from the cover.

Alyssa: (Notices employee #2's conspicuous silence and wonders if there will be a job opening at the store soon) Sure. I'll definitely tell you how I like it.

Employee #1: Great. It was good to see you.

Alyssa: (Wonders if the RWA endorses this bookstore, but looks forward to reading the book anyway) Yeah, you too.

Alyssa

Labels:

3 Comments:

At June 08, 2005 8:24 AM, Blogger sybil said...

heeee

let me know if you don't want to keep it ;)

and if it is any good... not that I don't already owe you my first born.

 
At June 09, 2005 3:39 AM, Blogger Jaynie said...

ROFLAO

That's hilarious. I had a book store worker once who didn't know who Nora Roberts was.

I wonder sometimes how these people get their jobs.

 
At June 09, 2005 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL on the metallic people!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home