A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Sunday, July 10, 2005

Ultimate Surrender

I've completed my rearrangement of the TBR books. Auto-buy books are on top of the bookcase by my bed. Non-auto-buys are in the TBR bookcase (which is now full). True-crime and Nora Roberts TBR are on top of the TBR bookcase. I'm pretty pleased with the new arrangement, although I worry that the auto-buys will crush me if there should be an earthquake. Oh well, I will brave the danger since the result is more organized books.

I recently read Ultimate Surrender by Jill Shalvis. It's one of her Loveswepts, and it's about a woman named Kayla who falls in love with her dead sister's husband, Ryan. She and her sister, Lauren, weren't close. In fact, the sister was a selfish woman who claimed that Ryan abused her. As for Ryan, Lauren told him that she aborted his child. He doesn't know that she never had an abortion, and Kayla is raising Lauren's one-year-old baby girl, Lindsay. Talk about built-in conflict. The conflict is evident from the first chapter and continues to build.

I have to admit that I don't usually seek out books with children in them, but I ate this story right up. There's plenty of angst on Kayla's part, as she gets to know him and realizes that he's not the person Lauren made him out to be. Now she must decide how to tell Ryan the truth. She knows that she's falling in love with him, and she believes that she will lose him and Lindsay when he learns the truth. For his part, Ryan is frustrated that Kayla seems to fear him and highly attracted to her all at the same time. The story brought tears to my eyes more than once.

For whatever reason, I love these kinds of stories, where characters fall in love with people they shouldn't. There's a forbidden love element I find appealing. Some of these kinds of stories are better than others, and this one is especially good: 4.5 out of 5.

Now I just have 13 other Jill Shalvis books in my TBR . . .

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At July 11, 2005 9:16 AM, Blogger Nicole said...

Ooh...Ultimate Surrender does look good.

 
At July 11, 2005 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure it's completely un PC of me to beg you not to read my older stuff, LOL! I like to pretend my writing career started with Blue Flame ... But I'm glad you enjoyed Ultimate Surrender, one of my oldest books!

 
At July 11, 2005 2:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ultimate Surrender is one of my fave books by Jill. Ignore her about her older books. :) She wrote some GREAT Loveswepts!

 
At July 11, 2005 10:29 PM, Blogger Jordan Summers said...

I have one of Jill's in my TBR pile too. I can't wait to dig in.

 
At July 13, 2005 8:01 PM, Blogger Alyssa said...

Jill, you are apparently outnumbered. LOL! You may certainly ask me not to read your earlier books, but you'd have to arrange to have them all confiscated in order for me to comply. :)

Alyssa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home