A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Can't Get Enough

After being so proud of myself for having all of my TBR books on shelves (instead of on the floor or in bags), I found a box full of books. The TBR shelves are obviously a work in progress. When I went through the books, I saw Sarah Mayberry's Can't Get Enough. (You know it's bad when you have so many books you can't remember them all!) It's a recent Harlequin Blaze, and I decided to read it. I'm so glad I did. It's one of the best books I've read all year: 4.5 out of 5.

It was so nice to post the back blurb last time rather than describing the story, so I'm going to do it again.

He's everything she despises--a babe magnet with more notches on his belt than a mullipede has legs.

And he thinks his coworker is wound so tightly she irons her underwear at night.

Two people couldn't be further apart.

But when Jack Brook and Claire Marsden get stuck in a sweltering elevator one afternoon, it's a different story. By the time they're rescued, Jack and Claire have swapped confidences and oh, they've had the most spectacular sex of their lives!

Back in the office they're still butting heads over projects, but now there's a heightened awareness added to the mix. With this kind of tension in the air, how can they resist another round of sexy indulgence?


What I loved about this book are the characters. Many romances have a hero that the heroine thinks is a womanizer, but that turns out not to be the case. Here, Jack is no faux womanizer; he's the real deal. That's why his transformation from wanting casual relationships to falling in love with Claire is so rewarding to read. I cried a little at the end of the book.

Claire is also terrific. She's confident about her work. She's less confident about other matters, such as her relationship with her father. He never contacts her unless he wants something, and he remembers few of the details of her life. She worries when she realizes that she is falling for Jack. I like that she considers whether it is wise to get involved with him. I've always thought it was unrealistic when a heroine isn't worried about dating a former womanizer. Claire is cautious and considers things from several angles.

As I mentioned, Can't Get Enough is a Blaze title. However, it's longer than the traditional Blaze; both the font and margins are small. If you like contemporaries but avoid series titles, I would encourage you to try this one. I hope Mayberry has another book coming soon.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At December 04, 2005 6:22 PM, Blogger ReneeW said...

Wow, this sounds great. I may have to try it.

 
At December 05, 2005 7:34 AM, Blogger Rosario said...

It was so nice to post the back blurb last time rather than describing the story, so I'm going to do it again

LOL, I always do that. Only in very rare occasions do I torture myself about writing a summary (i.e. only when the blurb is crap and gives you absolutely no idea of what the book is about).

I'll have to give this book a try. I'm always on the lookout for good Blaze titles, now that I've managed to stop buying them pretty much automatically!

 
At December 13, 2005 10:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Alyssa, Just wanted to say thanks for your very flattering review of my book. I loved writing it, and it's great to hear you enjoyed reading it. I do have another book coming out in May with Harlequin, called Cruise Control. Your blog is inspiring - will have to get off the couch and start work on my own website soon! Have a great Christmas.
Sarah

 
At December 18, 2005 10:24 PM, Blogger Alyssa said...

Renee and Rosario, I hope you enjoy the book. I really did.

Rosario, this one definitely stands out as a good Blaze. I hope you'll agree. I'm so glad I bought it.

Sarah, thanks so much for stopping by! I'm glad to hear there is an upcoming book. You can be sure I'll buy it. Hope you have a nice Christmas, too!

:)
Alyssa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home