Knock Me Off My Feet
Knock Me Off My Feet is the third book I've read by Susan Donovan. I liked the previous two (Take a Chance on Me and He Loves Lucy), and I was unsurprised and pleased that I liked this one as well: 4 out of 5.
Audie Adams has been targeted by a stalker who is familiar with her TV personality as Homey Helen, and who also seems to know her personally. When the letters Audie receives become threatening, the police step in to provide protection. Enter Detective Stacey Quinn, the man who protects her and falls in love with her in the process.
One thing I like about Donovan's stories is that her characters always feel unique and real. She isn't a writer who recycles characters--at least, not in the books I've read. There is always humor threaded through her stories as well. Knock Me Off My Feet provides both of these things.
Audie is no perfect homemaker (and I can relate to that!), she just plays one on TV. I like the way Donovan portrayed how her uncaring family affects her belief that no one can love her. It felt very real to me.
As for Stacey, I love the fact that he is not a conventional hero. OK, he goes in to heavy-duty protective mode, and that's nothing new for a hero. But at first he thinks Audie herself is behind the letters. I was also impressed with his freckle-covered body. That's unique for a romance hero.
What I didn't like: I thought the stalker was a bit over the top, but the romance itself was terrific.
I have one more of Donovan's books, Public Displays of Affection, and I'm going to save it for when I need to get out of another book slump.

Labels: 4.0 reviews, c-e reviews, contemporary reviews

4 Comments:
i love susan donovan's book too. they are so funny and sexy.
I love Susan Donovan and enjoyed this one too. I read Public Displays of Affection and liked it even more than Knock Me Off My Feet.
I _just_ started reading this one, too! I wonder if I saw your review and subconsciously picked it up out of the stack because of that. Glad to hear it's good, I'm enjoying it so far.
Oh, there are some other fans of Susan Donovan. Yay! Renee, it looks like I'll have something nice to look forward to with Public Displays of Affection.
Megan, I hope you enjoy the rest of the book.
:)
Alyssa
Post a Comment
<< Home