A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Sunday, December 04, 2005

A Variety

As you might have guessed, I decided against going to Carrie Vaughn's book signing today in Denver. After I found out about the credit card minimum payment increase, the possibility of that happening shrunk to zero. However, I have arranged to get an autographed copy of the book from that bookstore. I figure $8.50 to buy the book and have it shipped to me is far less expensive than making the trip. Of course, this way I won't meet the author, but I can't help that. Maybe another time.

Speaking of finances, I am figuring out ways to cut corners financially. I plan to get rid of long distance from my home phone, since I can use my cell phone for that. I will start planning meals for every two weeks instead of buying whatever catches my eye at the grocery store. I'm also giving some serious thought to downgrading my cable. I wish it were possible to choose one's channels. I'm paying an extra $20/month for two or three channels I like but only watch occasionally. I need to either downgrade or start watching them.

On another subject: NaNoWriMo. I met the 50,000-word goal, wrote another short story, and have turned my attention back to revising the first story. I'm wondering where to go from here. It's kind of funny. For a long time, I thought that writing for my day job made it feel too much like work to come home and write. I had stopped writing fiction long ago.

But I think I've got the writing bug again. I have continued to write since December began, although I fluctuate between thinking what I have written is brilliant or sucks. I go through that at work, but it's intensified significantly when I'm writing fiction.

As I said, I'm not sure what to do next. Just keep writing for a while and see what happens? Write as a hobby? Try for publication? That seems so pretentious when I've been writing fiction again for a little more than a month. I have sent the short story to two volunteer readers, and I am curious to hear their opinions. (If you volunteered and didn't get it, don't worry. Assuming I keep writing, you'll have a turn reading eventually.)

I've started a separate blog about my writing. I suspect its contents would be supremely uninteresting to anyone except me, but if I keep writing for a few more months, I'll eventually post a link to it here. (If you're dying of curiousity, post in the comments and I'll e-mail you the link. I don't want to be responsible for anyone's death. LOL!)

I'm doing pretty good with my book-buying moratorium. I've got a few gift certificates to use, so I'll be able to buy a book or two on occasion. But other than that, I'm putting books on hold at the library, reading other perfectly good books on my TBR shelves, and saving money for a book-buying spree at next year's RWA signing.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At December 04, 2005 7:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I downgraded my cable package to 2-22 this month. The special I had expired and the new price was going to be way too high considering I only ever watch Judging Amy and the West Wing on cable. I so wish I could just get TNT and Bravo. Oh, and Oxygen.

 
At December 18, 2005 10:30 PM, Blogger Alyssa said...

I just got another cable bill, so I need to start thinking about this again . . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home