A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Virgin for Sale

No, the title of this blog entry isn't a reference to my resolution (heh!), it's actually the title of a January Harlequin Presents by Susan Stephens. I bought it because it's the first in a new series, Uncut, which proclaims "even more passion for your reading pleasure." There was more sex than I've read in many Presents titles, but I was too frustrated by the hero to enjoy reading it: 2 out of 5.

Constantine Zagorakis has left poverty behind to become a billionaire known for his ruthless tactics. . . .

Lisa Bond has defied her past, too; now she's independent and successful.

Their deal: One week on Constantine's private island to talk business--and he'll show her the pleasure of being with a real man. . . . But when the week is over, and their working deal sealed, both may pay a price on which they hadn't bargained. . . .

Constantine (Tino) is an alpha run amuk. I don't pick up a Presents thinking I'm going to read about a softer, gentler man, but geez. He plans to buy her company, while Lisa only wants to sell part of it, enough for a much-needed cash infusion. Otherwise, her company is likely to go under. Stated like that, it sounds like an interesting conflict.

But Tino is terribly high-handed. It's his way or the highway in business and in his personal life. The business is understandable, I guess, but I was frustrated by the way he kept thinking that Lisa was such a controlled woman and she needed someone to tame her. This, even though he knew about her background from day one--Lisa came to live with her father after leaving a fanatical commune. Does Tino really have to "tame" her to make a point?

And that brings up another thing. I thought there was so much here that was underexplored: Lisa's past and Tino's troubled past are mentioned but not delved into. This could have been a source of so much richness and character development but it just didn't happen until the very end of the book.

There are a couple of good moments that happen toward the end of the book. I was touched by the thing with the flowers (trying to be cryptic here), for instance, and I was starting to believe the scenes at the end are pretty good.

The title of this book is a misnomer. Lisa is a virgin, but she's not for sale. And about the Uncut aspect--as I said, it's racier than other Presents I have read, but it's not racy like a Brava, for instance. Though there was some spanking, which I hadn't read in a Harlequin before.

In any case, Stephens is clearly a good writer; I just wish Tino had been a bit less bulldozer-ish. I'm ready to read about a sweet beta hero. Have any suggestions?

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At January 05, 2006 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still like my uncut theory better :)

 
At January 05, 2006 3:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! My name is Alyssa too. I'm sorry i'm not a blogger,but after this i'm going to try and signup. Well bye maybe i'll talk to ya lata!

 
At January 07, 2006 5:26 PM, Blogger Jordan Summers said...

Hmm...I'm glad I didn't pick that up. I came REALLY close the other day just to see what changes they'd made. Perhaps the next one will be more up my alley.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home