Ask For It
I discovered Sylvia Day's writing when I read Catching Caroline, and I've read her books ever since. She writes in a variety of subgenres, including paranormal, futuristic, historical, and contemporary. Her next book, Ask For It, is a historical romance: 4 out of 5.
A Matter of Dangerous Intrigue . . .
As an agent to the Crown, Marcus Ashford, the Earl of Westfield, as fought numerous sword fights, been shot twice, and dodged more than any man's fair share of cannon fire. And yet nothing excites him more than the primitive hunger his former fiance,
Elizabeth, arouses. Years ago, she'd jilted him for the boyishly charming Lord Hawthorne. But now the elegant wido is his to defend, and he will do so while tending to her other, more carnal needs, showing her the depth of a real man's desire . . .
. . . and Undeniable Pleasure
Dangerous secrets led to the murder of Lady Hawthorne's husband, secrets she now holds in a diary many would kill to obtain. But to entrust herself to the protection of the most seductive man she's ever known? Outrageous. Unthinkable. Irresistible. For it was Marcus's strong passions and burning desire that frightened her into abandoning him years ago--and her answering craving has never waned. Now he means to be at her service, in every sense. And perhaps the only sensible course isn't to resist temptation, but to surrender to it completely . . .
Ask For It is Day's second book for Brava, and it's an excellent story. You have to love a heroine who knows how to use a weapon. LOL! And I liked the twists and turns of the story--just when I thought I'd figured things out, the plot took an unexpected turn. It was a refreshing change from many of the predictable stories out there. One secondary character (spoiler: Christopher St. John) surprised and intrigued me, and I hope he gets his own story.
Day has a talent for creating realistic and unforgettable heroes. Marcus definitely fits in this category. I'm a sucker for a hero who falls completely in love despite all his best efforts, and that's exactly what happens here. Marcus is a forceful man who needs a woman willing to stand up to him. Although Elizabeth isn't as strong a character, she's a good match for Marcus.
I can't review one of Sylvia's books without mentioning the love scenes. Sex isn't always about simple pleasure; sometimes it's complicated, tangled with a variety of emotions. Day does these scenes very well, painting a visual picture of Marcus and Elizabeth's evolving relationship. It starts with ambivalence on both sides and develops into more in a way that's both absorbing and real. As a longtime reader of Day's work, I admire the fact that her love scenes are never the same, and she's willing to take risks in this area.
With Ask For It, Day proves again that she's a writer whose career is on the rise. She is under contract for several books from Avon Red and Brava. The only bad thing is that I have to wait until 2007 for the next book.
Labels: 4.0 reviews, c-e reviews, historical reviews
3 Comments:
I am pretty sure your 'hope' is already in the works.
I thought the same thing.
have you read her anthology? I LOVE it!!!!
don't pay attention to the cover or the title, Bad Boys Ahoy, they are really really great!
I've only read the Bad Boys Ahoy anth, and I agree with Mailyn - I loved it. The cover does not represent the stories at all - they are not campy or fluffy, but very sexy and emotional. If BBA is anything to go by, then SD is definitely going to be on my auto-buy list.
Post a Comment
<< Home