Working for the Devil and Dead Man Rising
I've had Lilith Saintcrow's Working for the Devil on my TBR list for a few months now, and when I was offered a chance to read Dead Man Rising, the second book in the series, I decided to read them together. I'll do my best to avoid spoilers, especially because Dead Man Rising isn't scheduled to be released until September.
Here are some things to keep in mind about both books.
- They aren't romances.
- I repeat, these books aren't romances. There is romance in them, but if you read either one of them expecting a conventional romance, you will be disappointed.
- If at all possible, read the two books together. Neither book is particularly effective as a stand-alone.
- Saintcrow doesn't hesitate to put her characters through hell, literally and figuratively. If you know this going in, you'll be better prepared to read them.
Now, moving on. I liked both books. Working for the Devil earns 3.5 out of 5 and Dead Man Rising receives 4 out of 5. I read them over three days, and I'm convinced this is the best way to go. In fact, it's better to think of these as one story, similar to the way The Lord of the Rings is one story with multiple parts.
Here's the blurb for Working for the Devil.
When the Devil needs a rogue demon killed, who does he call?
The Player: Necromance-for-hire Dante Valentine is choosy about her jobs. Hot-tempered and with nerves of steel, she can raise the dead like nobody's business. But one rainy Monday morning, everything goes straight to hell.
The Score: The Devil hires Dante to eliminate a renegade demon: Vardimal Santino. In return, he will let her live. It's an offer she can't refuse.
The Catch: How do you kill something that can't die?
A review quote on the back of the book describes it as "dark urban fantasy with a splash of cyberpunk, a pinch of paranormal romance, and a dash of gritty crime thriller," and it's a pretty good description. This book draws on a combination of genres.
I've seen other reviews of this book praise its world-building, which I agree is good. However, I felt a bit like I'd been dropped into a strange environment, and I would have enjoyed a little more explanation of terms. This can be a tough balance, because you don't want to bring the story to a stop while launching on long explanations, but I needed a little more background than I got. For this reason, it was easy for me to set the book down after reading a few chapters, which is what I did for a few days.
The story picks up at the mid-way point, and once I reached this part I had a hard time putting the book down. My favorite character is Japhrimel, although he does something toward the end that made me feel a bit ambivalent about him. Still, the ending packs quite an emotional punch. And in case you missed this the first or second time, this isn't a romance. OK? Don't say I didn't warn you.
On to Dead Man Rising.
When the Dead Call, She Answers
Bounty hunting is a helluva job, but it pays the bills. And it lets necromance Dante Valentine forget her issues--like struggling with her half-demon side and the memory of her lover's death.
Now psychics all over the city are being savagely murdered--and a piece of the past Dante thought she'd buried is stalking the night with a vengeance. Too bad she's got no way to tell which fiend--or friend--to trust. Or that her most horrifying nightmares are gathering to take one kick-ass bounty hunter down for the count.
But that's only the beginning. The Devil just called. He's looking for Dante's lover--the one he killed.
I may have been able to put down Working for the Devil, but once I reached the mid-point, I raced through the rest and through Dead Man Rising. If the first book packs an emotional punch, the emotional impact of this one is like being run over. LOL! I've been brought to tears by a book, but this one had me sobbing. And that's the main reason I don't think these should be read separately. Someone who reads Dead Man Rising without reading the first book is likely to be very upset when something happens--see the fourth bullet point above. Actually, I had read the first book and I was still upset. In fact, my stomach hurts as I think about it, and I finished the book a few weeks ago. But something else happens, and it too wouldn't have the same impact to someone who hasn't read the first book.
I can only describe reading these books as a very emotional experience, which says just how talented a writer Saintcrow is. Will I read the third book in the series? To be honest, I don't know. The roller-coaster ride is still too close in my memory. And although I liked Dante as a heroine, I didn't love her. I think I'll make the decision about reading the next book later, and I may even seek out a spoiler or two so I know what to expect. If that makes me a wimp, so be it.
Labels: 3.5 reviews, 4.0 reviews, paranormal reviews, q-s reviews
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home