The Rules of Seduction
Madeline Hunter's books tend to be hit or miss with me. The Rules of Seduction turned out to be a big hit: 4.5 out of 5.
He enters her home without warning or invitation--a stranger of shadowy motives and commanding sensuality. Within hours, Alexia Welbourne is penniless, without any hope of marriage. Until Hayden Rothwell takes her to bed. When one impulsive act of passion forces Alexia to marry the very man who ruined her, Hayden's seduction of Alexia is nearly complete. What Alexia doesn't know is that her irresistible new husband is driven by a secret purpose--and a debt of honor he will risk everything to repay. Alexia is the wild card. Reluctant to give up their nightly pleasures, Hayden must find a way to keep Alexia by his side . . . only to be utterly, thoroughly seduced by a woman who is now playing by her own rules.
Some of Hunter's books I've started and not finished. The Rules of Seduction, though, just drew me in and didn't let go. Hayden is a hero who's caught by a promise. When he discovers a man's embezzlement, he promises not to tell anyone why the man had to move to the country. That man is Alexia's cousin, and his explanation paints Hayden as the bad guy, which causes problems for Alexia when she realizes she is attracted to Hayden.
I like this book for many reasons. Although Alexia feels conflicted about Hayden, I like the way she faces her attraction for him and takes responsibility for her feelings. Once they are married, she doesn't hesitate to defend him, even though she doesn't know the truth of what happened. I found this admirable.
And Hayden is wonderful. I loved watching him try to make life easier for Alexia even before he fell for her. His concern for her continues after their marriage, when he gives her the opportunity to make her own decision about him. The ending is just terrific.
I'm having a good run of historicals lately. I hope it continues.
Labels: 4.5 reviews, f-h reviews, historical reviews
3 Comments:
I loved this book! It is on my keeper shelf! Good review!
Sounds good Alyssa! I just reserved it at the library!
ooh, I've got this on my wishlist too. Sounds good.
I've got more Madeline Hunter hits than misses, so this looks another once which will score. Time to hunt it down ...
Thanks Alyssa. Good review.
Post a Comment
<< Home