A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Thursday, September 30, 2004

The Viscount Who Loved Me

This was my latest Julia Quinn read. I've decided that reading her can be extremely dangerous. I started it yesterday morning and ended up being late to work. Note to self: read Julia Quinn only on weekends.

Needless to say, I enjoyed the book: 4 out of 5. Anthony Bridgerton decides it's time to marry, and he sets his sights on the beautiful Edwina Sheffield. Her older sister, Kate, knows about Anthony's reputation as a rake, so she is opposed to the match. Unfortunately, Kate is attracted to Anthony, and he reciprocates her feelings.

The dialogue and humor really shine in this book. Kate and Anthony make a terrific pair. As I read about Kate's fear of thunder and lightning storms, I couldn't help but think about a quote attributed to Chekov: "If in the first chapter you say that a gun hung on the wall, it must without fail be discharged." Kate's fear of storms plays out in a big way, as does another event described early in the book. (I won't go into detail here to avoid spoilers.) I anticipated the former (and it didn't detract from the reading experience), but the latter scene surprised me. Looking back, I see that it shouldn't have, but in any case, I enjoyed noting Quinn's craftsmanship.

Anthony's realization at the end of the book did seem abrupt, but The Viscount Who Loved Me was primarily a fun, memorable read.

Alyssa

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home