Boy Meets Girl
I don't often find books that make me laugh out loud. Smile, maybe, or even an occasional chuckle, but Meg Cabot's Boy Meets Girl is a true treat!
Kate Mackenzie works in the human resources department at the New York Journal. Like many chick lit heroines, Kate's boss is mean and oppressive, and ultimately forces her to fire a beloved employee. When that employee initiates a lawsuit, Kate goes to the company law firm, where she meets Mitch Hertzog. Of course, this meeting changes both their lives. I loved both Kate and Mitch.
Boy Meets Girl is told through e-mails, instant messages, company memos, Kate's journal, deposition transcripts, phone messages and more. Some of the more memorable moments:
- The playlist of Kate's ex-boyfriends band. Some of the song titles include: "In the Bedroom with Kate," "Come Back, Kate," "I Love U, Kate, for Now," "Random Acts of Kate," and "Ice Weasels Gnaw My Brain."
- The boss's interruptions of Kate's instant messages with her best friend.
- Mitch's mention of Kate's skirt during her second deposition.
- Kate's best friend's explanation that she won't go jogging because she doesn't want her uterus to fall out.
- Mitch signing his e-mail messages as "The F**ker" after being called that by Kate's boss (who also happens to be his brother's fiancee).
There are simply too many wonderful moments to list and no way I can do justice to them with a short summary. All I'll say is this: wonderful! 4 out of 5.
Alyssa
Labels: 4.0 reviews, c-e reviews, contemporary reviews

2 Comments:
Ooohhh, that one sound wonderful! It's coming out of my TBR pile immediately!
I think you'll really enjoy this one. My coworkers don't typically read romance, so I don't usually tell them about the great books I read. This one, however, I had to share. Yes, there's romance in it, but there's so much more to it. And it's just so funny!
Hope you like it.
Alyssa
Post a Comment
<< Home