A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Monday, December 20, 2004

Hot Shot

Do you ever read a book that you know is well written, but you still didn't enjoy it? Such was the case for me with Hot Shot by Susan Elizabeth Phillips: 2 out of 5.

Susannah Faulconer experienced significant hardships as she grew up. Her grandmother regularly locked her in a closet. Then, when she was living safely with her mother and stepfather, she was kidnapped for a few days. These experiences led her to retreat within herself; she coped by becoming the perfect daughter.

All that changes when she meets Sam Gamble, whose passion is computers. Sam wants Susannah to convince her business-minded father to invest in his computers. Sam represents many things to Susannah--freedom and passion in particular--and she eventually runs away with him, leaving her father-approved fiance at the altar.

I wouldn't particularly describe Hot Shot as a romance, though there are romantic aspects. In fact, the story would have received a 3 if the romance in the second half had been stronger. The book covers several years and describes the background for several of the characters. In spite of these descriptions, however, I didn't connect with the characters. I understood that their backgrounds had some effect on them, but I didn't think this was portrayed as vividly as it could have been.

This is the first book I've read by Phillips, and I have to admit that I don't feel inclined to read any of her other books. There is a lot of story here, it's well researched and written, but I wasn't moved emotionally. I am interested in hearing if Hot Shot is fairly representative of her style, so feel free to comment.

Alyssa

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At December 20, 2004 12:22 PM, Blogger lost said...

Oh, no - HOT SHOT is very different from the Chicago Stars series that won many readers' hearts. Similar to HOT SHOT are, if I remember correctly, HONEY MOON and GLITTER BABY. And in a way, FANCY PANTS.

All three are very much in vein of 1980s 'sex, shopping and money' that made the likes of Shirley Conran, Judith Krantz, etc. famous. FANCY PANTS is the hyprid of her old and new writing styles. HOT SHOT and HONEY MOON [I can't remember a thing about GLITTER BABY] feature the love triangle storyline.

I'd say FANCY PANTS is the birth of SEP's new style that became her signature that can be seen in her Chicago Stars universe.

Chicago Stars series [in order]: IT HAD TO BE YOU, HEAVEN TEXAS, NOBODY'S BABY BUT MINE, DREAM A LITTLE DREAM [probably the darkest of all], and THIS HEART OF MINE.

Her other books in Chicago Stars style are: LADY BE GOOD [loose sequel to FANCY PANTS] and FIRST LADY, Strangely enough I loathe both.

Standalones: KISS AN ANGEL [very much in Chicago Stars style], BREATHING ROOM and her latest AIN'T SHE SWEET? I have not read BR and ASS [lol!], so I have no idea what those are like.

RISEN GLORY is one of her two historicals, which has been - I believe - rewritten and released as JUST IMAGINE. The other historical is I think called THE COPELAND BRIDE [which she co-written with the other writer whose name I forget].

I stopped buying SEP's books after THIS HEART OF MINE because I didn't like LADY BE GOOD [the worst portrayal of an English lady], FIRST LADY and THIS HEART OF MINE. Mostly because SEP's preachiness is coming through too strongly, most notably in THIS HEART OF MINE. I have heard that it continued with BREATHING ROOM. I don't know about AIN'S SHE SWEET?, though.

All that said, SEP is a top-rate when comes to penning secondary romances. If I were to recommend SEP's books, I'd suggest the Chicago Stars series and, maybe, KISS AN ANGEL. If you are into 'romantic comedy' stories by Susan Andersen [the Baby series], Rachel Gibson and the likes, you'll probably enjoy those. I haven't read those for years, so I don't know those could stand the test of time.

Good luck. :)

 
At December 21, 2004 5:23 AM, Blogger Rosario said...

Màili's completely right, SEP's more recent books are very different from Hot Shot. Unlike Màili, though, I actually liked her latest titles... in fact, Breathing Room is my favourite by her, even with the preaching ;-)

 
At December 22, 2004 3:14 AM, Blogger lost said...

Hm. OK, I will give AIN'T SHE SWEET and BREATHING ROOM a try. Thanks, R. x

 
At December 22, 2004 6:47 AM, Blogger Rosario said...

Oops, I haven't read Ain't She Sweet yet, I'm still waiting for the paperback. I hope you like Breathing Room as much as I did... I know many people found the heroine irritating, but the same things they didn't like, I thought were kind of... endearing, I guess. I'm looking forward to hearing what you thought, even if you hate it!

 
At December 22, 2004 12:06 PM, Blogger Alyssa said...

Hmmm. It sounds like I should give SEP another chance. I'll see if I can pick up It Had to Be You the next time I go to the used bookstore.

Thanks for sharing your opinions. I appreciate it!

:)
Alyssa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home