Suzanne Brockmann Q&A, Part 3
Here's part 3 of the Q&A with Suzanne Brockmann.
What first inspired you to write about Navy SEALs?
Hey, JJ!
That's actually a fun story -- I've got a version of it posted on my website on the TDD main page!
I like to tell people I write about Navy SEALs because my friend Eric went to the dentist! (That's where he picked up a magazine that had an article in it about SEAL BUD/S training Hell Week and brought it to my attention!)
Here's the url: (I confess I don't know how to make links...)
http://www.suzannebrockmann.com/tdd.htm
-- Suz
Do you need volunteers in Reno?
Hi, Roz!
Thanks for your generous offer!
Yes, we will certainly need volunteers, but before any organization happens, I must finish writing BP. So hang on for another month or so, and then touch base again!
-- Suz
How much time will you take off after finishing Breaking Point?
Hi, Chris!
I'm not sure exactly yet. (This is not the kind of discussion one wants to have with one's publisher BEFORE the book is handed in! LOL!)
I do know that I need some serious down time. It's been several years since I've taken a real honest-to-goodness vacation. And way longer than that since I've taken a longer-than-a-week-or-two break.
Which is very necessary.
When I write, I don't keep 9-5, five days a week hours. I write 7 days a week, often 14 hour days. (I've tried the fewer days a week thing -- just can't do it - I end up writing nothing, all week long! LOL! It's a very all or nothing thing with me.)
You can only do that so long before you need to stop and recharge! LOL!
I promise to keep you posted.
-- Suz
Do you mind the "eye candy" (pictures of scantily clad men) posted on the board?
Absolutely not, Heidi!
I ***DO*** appreciate, however, the warnings posted for those who work in offices!
Same thing with warnings about adult humor.
We all found out relatively recently that there are a number of posters who are much younger than they sound from their posts!!! LOL!!!
And y'all know there are Boardhost rules about nudity, right? Don't ever post anything that will get this board shut down by the powers that be!!!
-- Suz
Has Jason decided where to go to college yet?
Hi Molly!
Jason just received his acceptance letter to a VERY highly respected musical theatre conservatory in New York City!!!!
He's Broadway bound -- starting this summer!
-- Suz
Will we see Cosmo, Jane, and Robin in future books?
Ah, Betsy!
See my comments below re: visits with characters and the need for them to fill a role in a book in order for them to appear!
Should such a need ever arise -- you will see them again.
(Not quite as detailed an answer as you hoped for huh? Sorry!)
-- Suz
Is continuity more difficult when a series gets larger?
Hi again, Ann.
The times I struggle most with continuity is when tweaks and changes get made to the manuscript at a late phase in the process.
Like for example the spelling of a name. I think there was an instance in NIGHT WATCH where I spelled Wes's brother's name differently than I'd spelled it in TAYLOR's TEMPTATION. Shawn vs. Sean, I think.
I had it spelled one way in my notes, and it was spelled the other in the final draft of the TT manuscript.
Well, I never changed the spelling in my notes.
Years passed, I sat down to write WWWes (NIGHT WATCH), and I pulled out my notes and, hey, that's right, Wes's brother Shawn or Shaun or Sean or... Whatever way it was spelled in my notes wasn't the way it was spelled in TT. SIGH.
I don't think the large number of characters will ever make me back away from a series. The key is, I think, practicing more restraint -- keep from bringing too many characters in to each book.
-- Suz
Is it difficult to manage the various subplots?
Hello again, Betsy!
I definitely view them as part of the whole.
I'm intrigued by the idea of different lives that kind of collide and intertwine because of some kind of external conflict.
An example would be Mallory and David in THE UNSUNG HERO.
At first the only connection is that Mal is Tom Paoletti's niece. But later we find out that, because David loaned his camera to Mallory, she took photos of people at the hotel and got a very clear shot of the terrorist suspect that Tom was searching for. Connection -- and an important one, too.
Since I always know how my stories end before I sit down to write them, I often know exactly those types of connections in the subplots. Although, as I'm writing, I'll often discover others, too!
I love writing interconnected stories like this -- I'm glad they work for you!
-- Suz
Is it your style to make readers wait (like with Jules)?
It's a personal preference thing -- as well as something that has to happen in terms of writing a "real time" series like the TS series.
At this point, anyway, I don't want to jump ahead and set the next book two years in the future.
Bad stuff happens to my characters at times. I know we're talking about Jules, but a more obvious example is Murphy.
His wife died. He's not going to get out of the hospital and immediately be in a place where he's willing and able to start over. He's got lots and lots of grieving to do. Time must pass.
But with that said, I have to admit that I'm a fan of anticipation!
-- Suz
Will we see Decker and Sophia in the future?
Absolutely, Betsy!
Lots more torture, uh, adventures in store for both Sophia and Deck!
-- Suz
Which two of your couples would you like to have dinner with?
Whoa, Stephanie, make it hard for me!!! LOL!
But, really, you know where my heart lies! I love having the opportunity to talk to older people -- I value their experiences and wisdom so much. So I'd have dinner with Vince and Charlie DaCosta and Jack Shelton and his partner Scott.
And if they didn't have to be a couple, I'd probably choose to have dinner first with Meg's grandmother Eve, and Rose von Hopf. And I'd fill the table with Jack and Scotty -- because they both could probably hold their own with those two very strong women.
And if I could travel back in time, the first people on my guest list would be Sam's uncle Walt and his second wife, Dot.
-- Suz
Do you have an aspect of WWII that's waiting for a Troubleshooters novel?
Hey, Ann.
There are SO many incredible true stories of courage and sacrifice, having to do with WWII -- I have lists and lists!
-- Suz
In response to a post about a grant opportunity.
This is so awesome!
Thanks for posting this, Stephanie.
I adore Paul Newman -- he is one of my all time favorite heroes and role models.
When I grow up, I want to be just like him!!!
-- Suz
Will you visit Florida this summer?
Hi, Heather!
I'm hoping to spend some quality vacation time in Sarasota, as soon as I finish writing BP!!!!
My absolute favorite time of the year down there is early summer, so -- whoo-hoo!
I'm not sure, at this point, if I'll be doing any booksignings, though!
-- Suz
Would you consider writing a book set completely in WWII era?
Hi, Louise!
Yes, I would love to write a book set entirely during WWII!
-- Suz
What do you think about doing a book-signing cruise?
Hey, Betsy!
Did you email me a coupla weeks ago about this? (Sorry I haven't responded -- I'm on Deadline Underground Mode!)
Do me a favor and email me about this again -- at the end of April!
I'm definitely interested -- the thing that concerns me the most is making it as affordable as possible for my readers.
Maybe tomorrow (after the scrolling on this board slows down a bit) we can get a post going to take a poll as to interest in a cruise -- length of trip, location, what prices are considered affordable... (With the memory firmly in place that low prices gets you low quality -- hotel in Tampa, anyone??? Yeesh!)
I went on a cruise some years ago and LOOOOOVED it!!!
-- Suz
How are you doing?
Hey, Bex, how are YOU doing, you mother, you!!!
Things are okay here -- I'm in dire need of a vacation.
Are you still writing? In between diaper changes???
Laughing maniacally,
Suz
Will we see Stan and Teri again?
Howdy, Mare!
I'm glad you enjoyed OTE -- that's one of my books that I'm most proud of.
I talk about recurring favorite characters in many, many of the post below, so I'm just going to say this: If there's ever a role for either Stan or Teri to fill, you will certainly see more of them!
-- Suz
Any more info about your west coast tour?
Hi, Arlene.
I'm waiting to hear from the Ballantine publicist about my west coast tour.
I requested visits to Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Diego, somewhere around San Bernardino or Riverside, CA, as well as Salt Lake City, and possibly a stop in Denver. Of course, we'll be in Reno for several days.
The one engagement that's already on the calendar is Sacramento on Tuesday, July 26th, in the evening, I believe.
After we get the official "big tour stops" set up, we may add a few smaller towns and indy/new/used stores to the mix, too.
It's all very tentative right now, though. All we know for sure is Sacramento and Reno!
-- Suz
Have you heard from Chris Berman (a SEAL) lately?
Jan and Rhonda,
I haven't heard from Chris since last June.
My heart sinks, too, whenever I read stories like that. And when as the death tolls of servicemen and women in Iraq rises, too. My heart is always in my throat when I see the latest lists of names.
-- Suz
When you first introduce a character, do you know that they are going to suffer for their HEA?
Leigh,
Yes, yes, I do.
In fact, the characters who have it the easiest are usually the heroines who are new the TS world at the start of their books. Savannah, for example. Joan.
Nash and Tess got off easy, didn't they?
-- Suz
How do you balance everything in your life?
Ah, Aly, I've yet to find a balance.
That's one of the reasons I want to take some time off.
When I was a kid, I used to spend hours watching the clouds. I used to just... be.
I want to relearn how to do that. I have the urge to... garden and cook.
(And if you knew me, you'd realize how absurd a statement that is. I'm like the anti-Martha Stewart. LOL!)
-- Suz
After a dozen years in this business, what surprises you?
Hi, Cin.
I'm still surprised by my success. I'm still me, you know? And occasionally I'll see my books in a store and think, "Whoa!" LOL!
And yes, the job surrounds me 24/7 -- but that's not because of a home office. That's because writing is such a completely full-concentration activity for me. I can walk out of my office, but the characters and story are still right there, in my head.
-- Suz
In response to comments regarding themes in the books.
Hey, Sarah!
I really use the same themes over and over and over again -- almost every single book has the theme of "Things are not as they seem." Almost every deals with false perceptions and the false walls we build around ourselves for protection (or other reasons) -- that sometimes keep people from seeing us as we really are. That's far more the theme of THE UNSUNG HERO
Unsung Hero: First ImpressionsTom and KellyDavid and MalloryCharles and Cybele
Again, I'd say that TUH's theme was learning to see past facades and reputations, finding the real person beneath the BS.
Defiant Hero: Deception/Second ChancesNils and MegEve and RalphS&A
Yes, TDH is all about deception -- again, with lots in there about building walls and keeping people from discovering self-truths.
Over the Edge: Sticking to your guns (?)Terri and StanAna and HershelS&A
The original title to this book was THE STEADFAST HERO, so yeah, you've got that right. Again, there are also themes of perception -- Stan believes Teri should hook up with Mike because "they would look good together." (I'm paraphrasing, but that's the sentiment.) It is only with the heart that one sees clearly -- what is essential is invisible to the eye. Isn't that a quote from THE LITTLE PRINCE. That, right there, is a common theme in my books.
Out of Control: Following instinct (?)Ken and SavannahRose and HankMolly and Jones/Grady
Yes, sort of -- combined with more of that LITTLE PRINCE theme. Molly SEES Jones. Rose SEES Hank -- she believes he's a good man, worth saving, even though she also thinks he's a Nazi. Her vision is clouded, but she sees the essential with her heart. Ken and Savannah also play the perception game with each other. But Kenny always falls in love too fast -- he finally gets the chance to become friends with a woman, too -- and the depth of the love he feels when he does fall for her is beyond his crazy crushes of the past. Would he have experienced that if she hadn't deceived him? Would he ever really have gotten to know her if he hadn't perceived her to be more awful and deceitful than she really was?
I think one of the themes of this book deals with an almost childlike sense of good and evil. Black and white. Ken loves Savannah. Then he hates her. Then he gets to know her -- the real, gray, flesh and blood woman. And it's only then, when he can appreciate her faults as well as her strengths, can he truly love her.
There are similar things happening with the Rose/Hank subplot. Nazis are evil. Except Rose thinks that Hank is a Nazi, and she still loves him and is unwilling to let him die. She sees shades of gray, but she knows that other people won't, and he'll be executed as a spy...
Into the Night: Discrimination/"-isms" (ageism/sizism/racism/classism)Mike and JoanMary Lou and IbrahamVince and Charlotte
I think the theme of this book is that Sometimes You Are Wrong. Not you, Sarah! LOL! -- Joan is wrong about her belief that she'd "too old" for Mike. Mary Lou is wrong about her belief that she'd be happy if she could only.... (fill in the blank -- marry a SEAL, have a house, have a white picket fence...) Charlotte is wrong about her belief that she can't live through loving another soldier who goes off to war. She can and she does. All those isms fall into Things that People Believe About Which They Are Frequently Wrong. LOL!
Gone Too Far: Reconciliations (?)S&AMax and GinaDot and Walter
Again, we're back to things are not as they seem.
Flashpoint: (help!)Jimmy and TessDecker and Sophia
This book, too, has the LITTLE PRINCE Theme. Tess sees Nash quite beautiful with her heart. But Deck and Sophia are both fooled by not being able to see each other clearly.
Hot Target: (help!)Cosmo and JaneJules and Robin/AdamHal and Jack
Again, the LITTLE PRINCE Theme, plus things are not as they seem -- heavy themes of the need to hide who we truly are -- and of the ultimate unhappiness that that can cause.
Phew! LOL!
I feel like I just finished my homework! GGGGG.
-- Suz
How easy is it to let go of a book?
Ann,
I'm not sure I'd call myself a perfectionist -- I'm just highly critical. GGG.
But I believe wholeheartedly in doing my personal best -- but taking into consideration things like time limits and other factors.
If I could write one perfect book in five years, or ten not quite perfect books in the same amount of time, I would write the ten. That's a no brainer.
By the time a book goes to press, I've read it a zillion times.
And yet there's still that uncaught typo or two. Oh, or the "typo" that some production assistant "caught" and "Fixed" -- like the genius who changed "Ollie, ollie ox in free," in OUT OF CONTROL to "Ollie, ollie on in tree!" WHAAA???? It appeared in the book TWICE and someone changed it to tree both times. AFTER I'd approved the galleys.
There have been several instances of that, where I definitely want to travel to every bookstore in the world and pen in the correction to every copy of the book.
I am lucky to have a wonderful husband, who provides just the right amount of "well, we can if you really want to, but wouldn't you rather go to the movies..." LOLOL!!!
-- Suz
Will Murphy get his own story?
Hi, Tania and Kelsey.
Yes, yes, yes -- you will definitely be seeing waaay more of Murphy. (He is SO mad at me right now...)
-- Suz
How loud is Jazz in your head?
I hear you, Melissa. (Picture Jazz, trying to be invisible!!! LOL!)
I will definitely pop into the board now and then while I'm on break. And I'll also set up some scheduled dates -- like this -- where I'll visit the board and get everyone's Q's answered!
-- Suz
How has the Hot Target dedication changed Jason's life?
Hey, JJ,
I'll let Jason know that there's a Q for him. He just went to a meeting/rehearsal for A CHORUS LINE. He just got called by a group that's putting on this show in May, and they were looking for a Mark. He's played (and danced!) that role before. (It's always fun as an actor to get called to come be in a show -- no audition! LOL!)
And of course, tonight is American Idol -- so he might not get to the board until tomorrow. (I've been watching it this year, with Jace. We were both Mario fans -- we're crushed that he left!!!)
How do you juggle everything you do?
Hey, Melissa.
I actually don't delegate well -- it's something I'm just plain lousy at doing. I'm working on it, though!
I've also found that sometimes the best thing I can do is simply lock myself in my office, away from all distractions, and focus on the book...
-- Suz
What are Eric and Ed up to?
Hey, Melissa!
OOoh, here's some cool news -- Eric just got cast in an Equity production of INTO THE WOODS. He plays Cinderella's father. We know the actress who plays Cinderella, and she's AMAZING!!! And we also know the actor who's playing the Narrator, and he's AMAZING!!! It's going to be a great show -- and Eric gets to earn equity points! Whoo hoo! (It's the New Rep Theater in Newton, MA and the show opens on April 27th and runs through May.)
With that said, I'm sure Ed and Eric both will be contributing to the Countdown for Breaking Point in June. (Jason leaves for school right about the same time the countdown starts, so I bet he'll be too busy to contribute this time around!)
-- Suz
I loved HT and hope you'll devote a book to Jules in the future.
Thank you, Anita!
I appreciate hearing that.
This seems a good place for me to mention to everyone on this board that I'm putting together a packet of positive email from readers to present to my publisher. Apparently, they've received some negative feedback about HOT TARGET -- don't worry, it's nothing that they can't handle. But, still, I want to make sure they realize just how much positive feedback I've gotten regarding both this book and Jules Cassidy.
Anticipating this, we've archived all of the positive emails I've received over the past few months, and we're going to remove email addresses and last names, and arrange it in an easy-to-read format and deliver (by forklift! LOL!) to Ballantine. Anyone who wants to participate -- if you haven't emailed me about either HOT TARGET or Jules in the recent past -- please feel free to send comments to my email address at SuzanneBrockmann@aol.com
Do us a favor, too -- and put something like "About Jules -- no reply necessary" in the subject header.
-- Suz
Excited about Suz's visit to Ireland.
Elizabeth and Marianne,
Wanna be in a movie??? LOL!
Good suggestions, Marianne -- I was hoping to find some info like that.
But hold those thoughts until after I finish BP. We haven't yet gotten a digital camera -- I want to actually take footage of the early research phases. I was actually planning to contact you about visiting Ireland -- it's going to be quite an adventure!
-- Suz
More about Jules.
Thanks, Maya.
You'll definitely be seeing more of Jules.
But the fact is, unless he moves to Massachusetts (and maybe to California!!!) he can find the love of his life, enter a committed relationship, and yet not be allowed to get married. He's a second class citizen -- like my son is, if he chooses to live outside of Massachusetts.
I am an outspoken supporter of equal rights for all Americans -- and this includes the right to marry. I've made no secret of that!
I'm a member and support of many Massachusetts organizations like Mass Equality, Freedom to Marry, as well as national groups like the Human Rights Campaign.
This past spring, Freedom to Marry had their annual Valentine's Day fundraiser in downtown Boston. It was the FIRST time they'd held this event since my gay and lesbian neighbors have been granted the equal right of marriage in Massachusetts. I attended with my husband and Eric and his wife, along with other friends. The event was a dinner, a silent auction, and a formal dance.
Early on in the dancing part of the evening, the MC got on the microphone and asked everyone who had been married within the past few months to go onto the dance floor.
I stood on the balcony overlooking this HUGE ballroom, and I watched hundreds of people hold their partners in their arms and celebrate the fact that they had finally been granted a right that I have been enjoying for the past twenty years.
I was moved -- far more than I can tell you. Words really can't describe it.
-- Suz
Greetings from South Africa.
Hi, Patricia!
I remember meeting you in Toronto -- you gave me some lovely gifts from Africa! (Thank you!!)
Say hi to Jones for me!
-- Suz
Will you ever join us in a chat room?
Hi, Karen
The problem with the chat room that's been set up is that there's a limit to the number of people who can squeeze in there. (Or at least there was the last time I visited!)
- Suz
Can we get a picture of your work area?
Oh, Angela! LOL!
I'm weeks away from finishing BP -- There's hardly any floor to walk on when I go into this phase of writing.
Total clutter.
I have lots of work surfaces (all currently covered). Two computers -- one for internet, the other for writing.
Over by my writing computer, the work surfaces are covered with notes (legal pads and spiral notebooks) as well as reference books, a dictionary, thesaurus, etc.
I have three bookshelves all jammed with books (how does that happen?) and two posters on my wall -- A classic trek publicity shot -- Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and my wonderful friend Lt. Uhura. The other poster is a collector's item that my son found for me -- the movie poster from the re-release of BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID, from 1973, after the Sting was such a big hit.
(Have I mentioned that I love paul newman?)
In front of my writing computer, I have a cork board, and little framed water color of a sailboat on the bay that my father painted. (I have a lot of his artwork in my house.) I also have a little shelf thingy with photos of my kids (mother day presents abound!) and various figures from Jason's Clay Period.
I have a little refrigerator and a coffeemaker in my office, too.
After I clean it, I'll have eric take a picture with the digital camera and we'll post it during the countdown!
-- Suz
Labels: random reading observations

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home