A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Top Five First Lines

I only worked a half hour past 5:00 PM today, and I'm celebrating with another of my top-five lists. When I pick up a book and start to read, the best first lines draw me in and set the stage for the story to come. Here are my five favorites, in no particular order:

Brighter Than the Sun by Julia Quinn

Eleanor Lyndon was minding her own business when Charles Wycombe, Earl of Billington, fell--quite literally--into her life.

Brighter Than the Sun is a wonderfully funny book, and this line sets up the story perfectly. It conveys Eleanor's practicality while at the same time hints at the big changes Charles will make in her life.

Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson

The day I died started out bad and got worse in a hurry.

This sentence tells me two things: this is a first-person story with plenty of humor. And that's absolutely true about this book.

His Every Kiss by LauraLee Guhrke

He was going mad.

Talk about a first line that says it all. Dylan Moore is a strong, memorable hero, and this sentence establishes his big problem--a ringing in his ears that plagues him all the time. It's a great sentence and an even better book.

"Fuzzy Logic" (from Bad Boys Over Easy) by Erin McCarthy

Lucas Manning was absolutely certain he hadn't ordered a box of neon pink dildos.

I was grateful that I wasn't eating or drinking anything when I read this line because I couldn't help but laugh. Saying that this sentence draws me into the story is an understatement.

Immortal in Death by J.D. Robb

Getting married was murder.

So much meaning is expressed in four words. This sentence is classic Eve Dallas. Eve has always been a loner, so she finds the idea of marriage disconcerting. When you add the fact that she will have to find a wedding dress, get a makeover, and other strange prewedding rituals, you end up with this assessment.

Do you have a favorite first line from a book? Please share.

Alyssa

Labels:

6 Comments:

At April 01, 2005 7:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"He liked radical politics and had a fondness for chocolate."

FLOWERS FROM THE STORM, Laura Kinsale

Thus you meet one of London's most notorious (and brilliant) rakes.

 
At April 01, 2005 7:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and the above quote was from me.

SandyO

 
At April 01, 2005 7:36 AM, Blogger Nicole said...

I love that Julia Quinn book. It's one of my favorites. For some reason, i've lost my copy. Need to buy it again. I've read that book so many times.

 
At April 01, 2005 8:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This list made my morning, and reminded me of some of my favorite books.

 
At April 02, 2005 11:25 AM, Blogger Wendy said...

One of my favorite opening lines is actually from a mystery novel:

"Finding out that my dead husband had been cheating on me made getting revenge harder.

But not impossible."

DATING CAN BE MURDER by Jennifer Apodaca.

 
At April 02, 2005 9:21 PM, Blogger Alyssa said...

SandyO, that's a great first line!

Nicole, glad to find someone else who loves Brighter Than the Sun. In fact, it might be time for a reread . . .

Jill, I'm so glad you enjoyed the list and that it sparked some nice memories.

Wendy, that's a great line, too. I checked out Dating Can Be Murder from the library. I need to read it!

Alyssa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home