A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Monday, March 21, 2005

Out of Control

This review is dedicated to Wendy.

Some authors you like because they write interesting variations of a character or story. Others you like because every story seems completely different. I thought that Shannon McKenna might fall into the former category; then I read Out of Control. While still steamy (you saw the smoke coming from my direction, right?) and not completely different, this story offers a nice change of pace from McKenna's previous books: 4 out of 5.

Don't misunderstand me; I'm not talking about a radically different book here. Out of Control contains all the things I love about McKenna's writing: steamy and emotional sex, intriguing suspense, gripping drama. Did I mention the steamy and emotional sex?

A brief summary: Davy McCloud is phasing out his P.I. business when Margot, an aerobics instructor who works next to his martial arts studio, comes to him with a problem. She's being stalked.

Davy knows there's more to Margot's story. He was instantly attracted to her when she started working next door. He put his P.I. knowledge to work by doing a background check, only to discover that she's not what she seems.

What's different about Out of Control are the characters. While protective, Davy McCloud is a bit less alpha than her previous heros. And Margot isn't as innocent as some of her heroines. Some critics have said that McKenna's heroines are pushovers; I don't agree with this assessment--Raine from Behind Closed Doors, for example, is more than a match for Seth. Whatever your opinion on this subject, Margot isn't a pushover in any sense.

Characters from the previous books make appearances here, but I don't think you need to have read them to follow this story. For readers who have, it's nice to see Raine and Seth, Connor and Erin, and Sean (the last single McCloud brother) again. If you haven't read the books, don't worry that Out of Control falls prey to sequel-itis. The previous characters play important, if minor, roles in the story.

Another intriguing difference in this book is the sex. Readers of the previous books will remember the multipage sex scenes. There's no lack of sex in this book--and have I mentioned that it's steamy, emotional, and complicated?--but many of the encounters aren't as long. If you're a fan of the heat, though, there's still plenty of it here.

As I've mentioned before, I was disappointed in Return to Me, but Out of Control shows McKenna back in fine form.

Alyssa

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At March 21, 2005 5:52 PM, Blogger Wendy said...

A most gracious thank you Alyssa!

McKenna is an author that falls into my "I shouldn't like her books, but golly I just can't help myself" category. Her alpha heroes are really Alpha, and she seems fond of virgin or damn-near-virginal heroines. So I think the changes present in Out Of Control will be ones that I'll welcome.

But really, I read McKenna for the sex. She writes some of the best "complicated" sex in the romance business. There's no harps, flowers and cherubs dancing about. It's messy, a little raunchy, and highly emotional. Great stuff!

 
At March 21, 2005 8:17 PM, Blogger Wendy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At March 21, 2005 10:13 PM, Blogger Alyssa said...

Wendy, I don't think anyone who says they read McKenna can say they DON'T read for the sex. :)

Yes, Jorie, Out of Control is McKenna's fourth book. As for her novellas, I regularly reread "Touch Me"--it's the first thing I ever read by McKenna, and it just blew me away.

Alyssa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home