A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Monday, December 05, 2005

TBR Challenge: My Shadow Warrior

It's December, and my TBR challenge, in honor of Maili, is to read Scottish romance. I wanted to read My Shadow Warrior after seeing a review about it. It's a good book: 4 out of 5.

1. Title/Author
My Shadow Warrior by Jen Holling.

2. Brief Synopsis

Rose, the youngest of the MacDonnell sisters, is more concerned with her father's mysterious illness than with her impending marriage to her childhood sweetheart. A gifted but frustrated healer, she decides to beg help from William MacKay--a reclusive laird who is renowned not only for his ferocity, but also for his healing powers. Denied entry to his fortress in the cold, harsh mountains of the far northwestern highlands, Rose uses cunning to force her way in, and William is duly intrigued with this bold slip of a girl. But securing his help may not be enough to save Rose's father. For there is something darker at work in the glen, something more powerful than William's and Rose's magic combined, and only the soul-deep passion that shadows their mutual desire can help their love prevail.

3. Copyright Year
2005.

4. Indicate if you liked or disliked it?
I liked it. I enjoyed William, a tormented hero who is devoted to his daughter and who finds himself falling for Rose despite himself. Rose herself is a compelling heroine. She wants William to try and heal her father, and she is willing to go to great lengths to make that happen.

I found myself enjoying the writing itself. In one scene, William confronts a mob. I loved the way the Holling depicted the scene and built up to William's simple and logical response. (I'm being vague to avoid spoilers.)

The romance works well. The main drawback of the story is its obvious villain.

5. Was the book designated a DIK or Five Heart book at any of the review sites?
Not that I found.

6. Do you agree or disagree with the reviewers?
Not applicable.

7. Is this a new author for you?
Yes.

8. Would you read more by this author?
Certainly.

I have more Scottish romance on my shelves, including Janet Chapman's Charming the Highlander and Kinley MacGregor's Claiming the Highlander. Yay! I'm sure Maili will be thrilled.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home