A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Playing Easy to Get

I was in a chat room, minding my own business, when Nicole cornered me and said I needed to read the anthology Playing Hard to Get. (OK, she didn't really corner me; she just mentioned it.) So I read the book this week and would describe it as pretty average: 3.5 out of 5.

From New York Times bestselling author Sherrilyn Kenyon comes "Turn Up the Heat,'' the story of an average woman who wins the vacation of a lifetime--a trip to Sex Camp. But what Allison George gets is a race for her life with none other than an ex-Mafia hit man who is now being sought by his prior employer. Vince Cappelleti knew the island was a risky proposition, but he'd run out of options. Now the only thing he wants in his sights is Allison, but in order to have a future with her, he must first deal with his past.

Jaid Black's sizzling hot "Hunter's Oath" sends grief-striken Sofia Rowley to the Arctic Circle, where her brother, a U.S. Army officer, was lost in a deadly helicopter crash. She's about to take a shocking journey into a secret underground world where Viking bride-hunters auction off their bounty . . . and where a strapping warrior vows to make this beautiful Outsider his.

Possession and passion entwine in Kresley Cole's sultry story, "The Warlord Wants Forever." Nikolai Wroth, a ruthless vampire warlord, searches for his Bride--the one woman who can render him truly alive. When his fevered chase leads to Myst the Coveted, a Valkyrie seductress who craves only freedom, a battle of domination and desire begins. Will the power of her seductive wiles overcome his strength? Or will she surrender and experience the deliciously agonizing lust that Nikolai has endured waiting for his one and only Bride?

"Turn Up the Heat" starts with an appealing fantasy--leaving an oppressive place of work to have your fantasies fulfilled on a private island. But the characters don't quite engage me. The story is just too short to create a solid connection with Allison and Vince. The pacing was good, and I wanted to know what would happen, but the story didn't quite cross the line from good to great: 3 out of 5.

I had a similar issue with the length of "Hunter's Oath." I was definitely intrigued by the story, although the Viking society is ruled by a bit too much testosterone. There's also a woman I wanted to bash over the head. (You'll know the part I mean when you read it.) There is a clash of ideologies as well. I thought it was resolved a bit too easily with only one conversation. Again, this is where another 20 pages would have helped: 3 out of 5.

It probably won't surprise you to know that the longest story is the one I enjoyed most. This is the first time I've read anything by Kresley Cole, and the world she creates in "The Warlord Wants Forever" is a compelling one. Neither Myst nor Nikolai are perfect characters, which is something I appreciate. In this case, I found my sympathy going back and forth between them: 4 out of 5.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At February 13, 2006 4:15 AM, Blogger sybil said...

hmmmm

I think the only reason I might get this is if I decide to read the KC series. But gawd the cover on the next one is bad.

I loved her first two books and have her last tbr. But I really think I am resisting because it is one more author coming out with a paranormal series.

And I LIKE paranormal but really...

 
At February 16, 2006 7:03 AM, Blogger ag said...

ooh ... I see you're reading Heiress for Hire. Just got that and waiting to finish all my other TBRs first. Will check back for your opinion of the book.

 
At February 26, 2006 3:32 PM, Blogger Alyssa said...

Hmm, I haven't seen the cover of the next book. I'll probably give it a try, though I may go for the library first.

Ag, I wrote a review of Heiress for Hire for The Romance Reader. I'll post a link to it once it's posted. I hope you like it as much as I did!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home