A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Drop Dead Gorgeous

I loved last year's To Die For by Linda Howard, so I was excited to read Drop Dead Gorgeous, the sequel. Once I got it, though, I was a little reluctant to read it. Why? Because I liked To Die For so much, and I worried I wouldn't like this one. Needless to say, I got over it and read the book.

Blair Mallory has already survived one murder attempt. Now, while planning her wedding and dealing with holiday-season madness, Blair once again dodges a bullet. Or, more precisely, a Buick. And though the driver's identity remains a mystery, his or her murderous intentions are all too clear.

Or are they? After all, Blair's homicidal ex-husband and his partner-in-crime/wife are safely behind bars. And even Wyatt Bloodsworth, Blair's police detective groom-to-be, isn't inclined to believe she's being targeted again. All of which makes Blair wonder if her close call was simply a mishap. But the wondering stops when she narrowly cheats death again in another seemingly innocent accident. Two strikes is all it takes to convince Blair that she's back in someone's crosshairs. And the only thing more frightening is that Wyatt still doubts her. That means this time no one will be watching Blair's back when she sets out to get the drop on her would-be killer--before whoever it is finally drops her.

Though I was more ambivalent about Drop Dead Gorgeous, I still liked it: 4 out of 5. It was great to see the continuing adventures of Wyatt and Blair, and I loved seeing them work out an issue. They are quite different, and I thought their disagreement and reconciliation was beautifully portrayed. I liked that the sensuality level went up a notch in this book as well.

As for what I was ambivalent about . . . it's a bit tough to explain, but I'll give it a shot. In To Die For, the juggle for position between Blair and Wyatt was fresh and cute. In Drop Dead Gorgeous, the juggle continues, but at times it seemed excessive, almost mean-spirited. Some things aren't worth fighting about just to have the upper hand, you know?

Still, I enjoyed the book and would certainly read another sequel, though it might be pushing it to have someone else coming after Blair. It will be interesting to see what develops.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home