13: Questions for Kelley Armstrong

I'm a huge fan of Kelley Armstrong's writing, so I was thrilled when she agreed to do an interview. Here are the 13 (+1) questions I asked her.
Alyssa: You host a very active message board on your site. How did that get started, and how has it evolved?
Kelley: I started the site back when Stolen came out. I'm a former programmer, so using the Internet for promotion comes naturally to me. The discussion board started life as a simple "leave a message" page. That was unwieldy, so I switched to a full blown discussion board. It started with forums for each book, writer forums and book recommendations and slowly grew.
Alyssa: Since you have a message board, I imagine you get a lot of reader input. How do you balance that with your need as a writer to be true to the story?
Kelley: It's something I've had to learn to deal with. I firmly believe that an author has to listen to her readers. That's who I'm writing for and who pays my bills. However, while I recognize that I'm creating a product, I don't see it the way a manufacturer would--give the customer whatever they want. I have to balance what readers expect (and want) with what keeps me happy as a writer. If I completely followed my feedback, I'd be writing nothing but werewolf novels and I'd burn out after a few years. It can be frustrating when I'm talking up my latest book at an event...and getting "that's great, but when's the next werewolf book?" But so long as sales are good, I know I'm satisfying my average reader, so I'm happy.
Alyssa: What is your favorite thing about writing? Least favorite?
Kelley: Most favourite? Storytelling in general. That's what I love. Least favourite? The parts of the job least related to writing. Accounting, business, promotion...
Alyssa: Do you have a writing schedule (number of hours per day, days per week)?
Kelley: My youngest goes to school every other day. So I have 2-3 days a week of solid writing (or editing). Then I squeeze in bits on the other days.
Alyssa: No Humans Involved came out this month. I'm sure I'm not the only one who was eager to see Jeremy again. Do you have a favorite scene from it?
Kelley: Hard to answer without giving parts away because my favourites are later in the book! There's a scene near the end where Jaime explores her powers that I really liked writing.
Alyssa: Do you read your books once they've been published?
Kelley: No. I'd only find parts I wish I could change!
Alyssa: You recently sold a trilogy to Harper Children's. Can you tell us about that? Will it be set in the Otherworld?
Kelley: It's young adult. It will be set in the Otherworld, but without any overlap of characters. So the same concepts, races etc with all new characters.
Alyssa: Characterization is one thing I really love about your books. What's your secret for creating unforgettable, complex characters?
Kelley: Best advice I ever got was to know your characters. Really, really know them...and don't feel obligated to show it all in they story. For example, with No Humans Involved, I loved showing other sides of Jeremy, but they have all been part of his character since the beginnning--there just wasn't a way (or a need) to show them until now.
Alyssa: I have to ask about Clay, because I think he's so completely fascinating. How did you come up with his character?
Kelley: Honestly? No idea. I started Bitten in the early nineties, so it's been over a decade since I created him. The process is long since lost to time! I know he evolved a lot over the writing of the first book, but that's all I remember.
Alyssa: You have another book coming out this year: Exit Strategy. It's for a new series. Can you talk about that?
Kelley: It's a crime novel about an "ex-cop turned ethical hitwoman." No supernatural elements at all. I don't know whether it'll become an actual series. Right now I'm contracted for two books, so I'm only counting on that.
Alyssa: In your books, bad things happen to good characters. Is it hard to write these scenes?
Kelley: LOL. I should probably say "yes," but it's not as tough as it might seem. If it's the death of an innocent character, then I feel bad about that. But if it's a bad turn of events for a good character (Paige getting booted from the Coven, Clay hurting his arm) then I tend to see it as fodder for books to come, rather than a tragedy. I don't enjoy doing it, but I see it as giving my characters a challenge that will be good for the series.
Alyssa: Which of your characters is most like you? Which character would you spend free time with?
Kelley: Most of my main characters share some traits with me. I could say that Eve is least like me. Most like me? Not so easy to answer. We share things in common, but I don't see myself in any of them--like my friends rather than my children. You could say that when I create a character, I intentionally make someone I'd like to hang out with because we will be hanging out together, as I write their stories. But there aren't any I'd want to be with 24/7 either!
Alyssa: If you were given an extra hour in each day, how would you spend it?
Kelley: Reading. I don't do nearly enough reading these days. Too much of my work involves reading (editing, research etc) than when I sit to read, it's probably for business, and that makes it harder to do so for pleasure.
Alyssa: What’s the last book you read and enjoyed?
Kelley: Speaking of reading... Ha! Last book I read was an advance copy of Linwood Barclay's mystery/thriller No Time for Goodbye and I really enjoyed it.
Alyssa: Thanks so much, Kelley! I appreciate it.
To celebrate the release of No Humans Involved, I'm giving away one of Kelley's books--winner's choice! All you need to do to be entered is post here and tell me either which of her books is your favorite and why, or which one you'd like to try and why (if you haven't read her yet). I'll draw a random winner from everyone who enters here. Feel free to enter through May 17, 2007. I'll announce the winner May 18.
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It's easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

Labels: author interviews, contests, thursday 13

7 Comments:
I love love love Kelley's books! I can't wait until payday *g* That's when I'm allowed to go into a book store again! I'll get to buy the new book then :)
LOL (well that's when I'll let myself back into one)
I'm reading my very first Kelley Armstrong right now - Bitten as I'm one of those people that has to start at the beginning - and so far I'm really enjoying it. This was a wonderfuly's timely interview for me. Thanks.
Since I haven't read any of Kelley's books I would like to start at the beginning and read Bitten. All of her books sound good. :)
just finished NO HUMANS INvolved
i LOVED it. though i really must go back and read through the ones i have missed
i think ms armstrong is very creactive person !
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Spam doesn't count in the contest. :)
Hi Alyssa:
No need to enter me in the contest - but just wanted to let you know that Lush showed up in my mailbox today. Thanks chica!
Post a Comment
<< Home