Grieving
I've been reading some of the buzz about the upcoming book in Karin Slaughter's Grant County series. I'm not sure I would call myself a fan of the series since I've only read one book--Indelible--but the book, and one character in particular, stuck with me. I've since bought three of the other books in the series (one is even autographed), though I haven't read them.
So when I read about two readers' responses to the newest book, I decided to read the spoiler at Slaughter's site before reading any other books in the series.
What I read broke my heart.
Even as I write that, it sounds a little crazy. I read the book almost three years ago, and I definitely don't have the emotional attachment that long-time readers have. On the other hand, it says something to me that I grieve so much over something that happens to a character I read about three years ago. Slaughter writes memorable characters, no question. But I doubt I'll ever read another of her books.
As a writer, I understand the need to write about things and events that readers might not appreciate. I get that. I also get that I am not her target audience, because she's going someplace I, as a reader, can't follow.

Labels: life

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home