Charlaine Harris
Since I mentioned Charlaine Harris in my last blog, I thought it would be a good time to talk about her. I learned about her when I read MaryJanice Davidson's Undead and Unwed. There was an excerpt for Dead to the World, the fourth book in Harris's Sookie Stackhouse series, at the end of the book. I was intrigued enough by it to find out more. I learned it was part of a series, so I checked out the first two from the library: Dead Until Dark and Living Dead in Dallas. I read them in two days and went in search of Club Dead, the third in the series. Here's how I'd rate the books:
Dead Until Dark: 4 out of 5
Living Dead in Dallas: 5 out of 5
Club Dead: 4 out of 5
Dead to the World: 5 out of 5
These stories are told from the perspective of Sookie Stackhouse, a telepath. Sookie lives in a world where vampires are recognized by society, though they are not accorded equal rights in all regards. Because of her ability to read the thoughts of others, Sookie is viewed with skepticism and hostility by many people in her town. Her life changes when vampire Bill Compton walks into it. Sookie discovers that she can't read his mind, a fact she finds both surprising and comforting. In Dead Until Dark, Sookie falls in love with Bill and comes into contact with other vampires who value her telepathic abilities.
The Sookie Stackhouse novels feature elements of humor, mystery, and romance. Sookie's world is peopled with vampires, shape-shifters, werewolves, and other beings. Sookie herself is what I enjoy most about the series. She's down-to-earth and optimistic, with a wry sense of humor. The fifth book won't be out until next spring, and it will be interesting to see who Sookie finally ends up with romantically, though I think that decision is probably several books down the road. My vote is for Eric, who plays an ominous role in Dead Until Dark, but still manages to be appealing. You have to love a guy who is willing to wear pink lycra when you need him to.
Alyssa
Labels: 4.0 reviews, 5.0 reviews, paranormal reviews
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home