A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Sunday, February 06, 2005

Survivor in Death

I've lost track of how many books are in J.D. Robb's In Death series--I think it's somewhere around 20. Survivor in Death is a strong installment: 4 out of 5.

Eve Dallas faces an unique challenge in Nixie Swisher, a nine-year-old girl who escapes an attack that kills the rest of her family. As a witness, Nixie is clearly in danger, and she develops a bond with Eve. Therefore, Eve brings her home and begins the search for the killers of Nixie's family.

I was intrigued by the mystery. I won't say much about it to avoid spoilers, but these are not the crazed serial killers we've seen in some of the past books. This aspect of the plot comes together nicely.

People who read the In Death series often enjoy the mystery more than the personal relationships or vice versa. I read it for the personal interaction; I love seeing Roarke and Eve's relationship develop, and there's more of that here. I don't recommend starting with this book, though, if you haven't read the series before. Instead, start with Naked in Death and move forward, or you'll miss wonderful dynamics of Eve and Roarke's developing relationship.

In Survivor in Death, it's not surprising that Nixie's presence leads to interesting interaction. Nixie is just a little too close in age to how old Eve was when she became an orphan. (Trying to be cryptic here, just in case.) This brings numerous emotions to the surface. Furthermore, Eve isn't particularly maternal. Like Eve, Roarke is reminded of his painful childhood because of Nixie. In general, however, he tends to be more at ease with the girl.

Many of the standard secondary characters make appearances. I also enjoyed seeing a few characters from past books. Survivor in Death was worth the wait.

Alyssa

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home