A.K.A. Goddess
I first discovered Evelyn Vaughn earlier this year when I read Contact, one of her Silhouette Bombshells. I found A.K.A. Goddess through Paperback Swap (yay!) and read it. While I enjoyed Contact more than this book, it's still exceptionally good: 4.5 out of 5.
When professor Maggi Sanger discovers that her house has been broken into at the same time her aunt has been attacked, she goes to France to see her aunt and to discover who is behind these events. In both cases, the perpetrators were after information, and Maggi plans to find out what and why.
A.K.A. Goddess is an almost perfect blend of suspense and romance. Maggi is a strong heroine who does justice to the Bombshell premise. I enjoyed the way she was able to talk her way out of some dangerous situations but didn't hesitate to get physical when the situation required it.
I also loved Lex's complexity. He's no stereotype (neither is Maggi, for that matter), and while many things about him seem suspect, his love for Maggi is constant. But his relationship with her is complex.
I won't go to far in explaining the mystery; it's one of those things best discovered for yourself. My only quibble (and it's a minor one) is that things about the group Maggi is investigating still seem ambiguous at the end.
I have A.K.A. Goddess's sequel, Her Kind of Trouble. I'm hoping to wait a bit before reading it--when I find authors I enjoy, I try to spread out reading the books rather than reading them all at once--but I don't have much hope in my self control.
Alyssa
Labels: 4.5 reviews, contemporary reviews, t-v reviews
3 Comments:
I really need to read this book one of these days. It's sitting on my tbr pile with all the other Bombshells.
I just read the sequel this week. I liked it even more than I liked A.K.A Goddess, which I thoroughly enjoyed. The romance aspect is heavier in the second book and it has a definite Lara Croft feel to it. I haven't had a chance to blog it yet, but it's definitly worth the time. I'm sending both books to Candy so it will be fun to hear her take on them!
Nicole, I definitely recommend it. It's one of the better Bombshells I've read.
Angie, good to know that the next one is even better! I'm still practicing restrait . . . for the moment. We'll see how long that lasts.
Alyssa
Post a Comment
<< Home