A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Sunday, June 12, 2005

Mark My Place

I own a rather surprising number of bookmarks. I have bookmarks I've received from authors, bookmarks about TV programs, handmade bookmarks, and so on. I have several dozen, enough that I bought a small basket to put them in.

Here is a sampling from my collection.



The second from the left says:

I chip away
the stone
that is not David
--Michelangelo
when asked how he created his famous statue

The one on the far right reads:

Live in each season as it passes;
breathe the air,
drink the drink,
taste the fruit,
and resign yourself
to the influences of each.
Henry David Thoreau

Perhaps the most amazing thing about my bookmarks is not how many I have, but how often I end up using an envelope or a receipt to mark my place in the book because I don't have a bookmark at hand.

What do you use as bookmarks?

Alyssa

Labels:

7 Comments:

At June 12, 2005 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

>>Perhaps the most amazing thing about my bookmarks is not how many I have, but how often I end up using an envelope or a receipt to mark my place in the book because I don't have a bookmark at hand.>>

LOL Too funny! I often use those subscription mailers from magazines, junk mail envelopes, index cards, and/or bits of my kids' artwork as bookmarks.

 
At June 13, 2005 3:32 AM, Blogger Tara Marie said...

I usually end up using the receipt from the UBS. I can't tell you how many times I've sorted through books and found these receipts shoved in the back. My husband is big on ripping off pieces of paper from magazines, he's re-reading Stephen King's Rose Madder and found a page from a 1998 TV Guide with a full page ad for ER.

 
At June 13, 2005 7:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only have a couple of bookmarks that I've either bought or had given to me. Two of them have Garfield on them. (G)

What I generally use are those post-it note bookmarks, both the large and small size. Large for marking my place and small for marking special places in the books, like quotes or major turning points.

And, no, not those turning points either. (BG) Since I like identity related romances, i.e. secret, mistaken, hidden, etc., I tend to end up marking where the "revelation" occurrs. But mostly I use the small ones as reference markers for quotes and things I want to remember for finding again later. That happens a lot when I'm reading fantasy or sci-fi. (BEG)

The problem with those hanging cardboard ones, besides the fact that they're awkward, is that I'd never have enough because I always end up leaving the big post-it ones in the books anyway . . .

 
At June 13, 2005 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL, I use whatever I can reach and tear off. I'm terrible. I have some beautiful bookmarks too, but do I use them? No. I can never locate them when I need them, sigh ...

 
At June 13, 2005 1:23 PM, Blogger Nicole said...

I have a gazillion author bookmarks, so those are what I usually use.

 
At June 16, 2005 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never been a big bookmark person. Somehow I'm able to close a book when I have to stop reading and open it back up to the right stop when I'm ready to start again. Every once in a while I'll be off by a page or two but usually I'm pretty right.

I will use little post-its to mark off witty dialogue if I remember.

 
At June 17, 2005 10:52 AM, Blogger Megan Frampton said...

I've blogged about bookmarks lately too--for some reason, not using, heck not having a bookmark when I read a book makes my skin crawl. So if you ever have extras--send 'em my way.

Megan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home