Whoosh
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
--Douglas Adams
There are some days I wouldn't mind being fired. Really. Take now, for instance. I have a bunch of Web projects (among other things) that need to be completed and online by July 1. Will they be finished? Yes, but they won't all be finished by July 1. If I worked 24/7 on Web projects alone, I might be able to get them done. Maybe. Strangely enough, though, I'm not a machine, so I can't work 24/7 on anything.
As it is, I'm not even able to spend eight hours a day on the Web projects, because I'm also writing an interview, a magazine article, online announcements, and more. Every project is top priority. I'm split in so many different directions each day that being drawn and quartered would be less painful.
We're hiring two more writers, which will help in the future. It doesn't help at the moment, though. I thought things were bad a few months ago, when I felt like I was always being forced to choose between doing a job well and doing it to meet an unrealistic deadline. Now I don't have the "luxury" of either option. It's difficult to work when it doesn't seem like anything I do decreases the work load.
I have a rather distinctive (loud) laugh. At lunch today, a coworker mentioned that she doesn't hear me laugh any more. Amazing how unrealistic expectations and deadlines can squeeze the joy out of a person. Go figure.
This complaint may not stay online very long, since my coworkers know about and visit my blog. Although most of them feel the same way.
Alyssa
Labels: working
3 Comments:
I hope things get better soon!!!
I was banned from a restaurant one time for laughing too loud. The joke was on them though. When I told my coworkers this, they all boycotted the restaurant. My dad had a very hearty laugh you could hear from far away and that's one thing I was always proud I inherited from him.
Jill, thank you. I hope it's better soon, too. I don't have much hope at the moment, though.
Kristie, you were BANNED from a restaurant for laughing? Good heavens, were they insane? That's crazy. I'm glad your coworkers boycotted it.
Alyssa
Post a Comment
<< Home