A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Charmed and Dangerous

I couldn't resist buying Charmed and Dangerous by Candace Havens. It was a paranormal romance that sounded terrific. The story wasn't as terrific as it first sounded, but it got better in the second half: 3.5 out of 5.

Bronwyn is a witch who protects the British Prime Minister through charms and spells. Soon she's also protecting Sheik Azir, a man who is the target of several assassination attempts. Bronwyn finds herself drawn to Azir even as she starts to develop a relationship with Sam, a warlock.

The story starts well; Bronwyn's voice is an interesting one and the book is told as journal entries from her point of view. As the story continues, however, there starts to be a sameness to the journal entries. There's danger, she casts a spell, she averts disaster. From pages 40-100, I put the book down several times. Things pick up a bit toward the end, but not enough to overcome the slow start.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At October 27, 2005 7:13 AM, Blogger Angela James said...

I think you were more generous in your assessment than I was. I never blogged it but I had three pages of notes about the things I didn't like about the book. Cute premise and great potential for story that couldn't over come the stilted writing and use of journal entries which, as you said felt repetative. Too bad because I had high hopes for this book and I doubt I would buy a sequal without someone I trust saying it is much better (and even then, I'd get it used, lol)

 
At October 27, 2005 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, damn. I suppose I should see if my library has this. That's kinda sad, it definitely seemed like it had potential

 
At October 31, 2005 6:59 AM, Blogger Candy Havens said...

Hey, Sorry you were disappointed in the book. :-) Take Care Candy Havens "Charmed & Dangerous"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home