A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Sunday, June 03, 2007

The Object of Love

Eeek! I planned to post this more than a week ago. Problem is, when I'm writing, I'm not doing much reading--or writing about reading, for that matter. Well, I'll just keep stumbling along, doing my back and forth thing. Enough about that.

I discovered Sharon Cullars when I read Again for The Romance Reader. I enjoyed it, so I bought The Object of Love when I saw it in the book store. I liked this book even more than Cullars' debut: 4.5 out of 5.

It's been five years since Lacey Burnham saw Sean Logan, and in that time her son Calvin's best friend has turned from a surly youth into a handsome, self-assured young man. Crushed with grief over Cal's sudden death, Lacey offers Sean a place to stay when he's in town--an innocent proposal that quickly becomes anything but. Lacey is stunned and confused by the yearning he ignites with a single kiss . . .

Beautiful, warmhearted Lacey Burnham was a haven of comfort in Sean's troubled youth. Now, against every shred of logic she possesses, Lacey is falling hard for Sean and for a heady carnal bliss she's never experienced before. But the ghosts of the past are waiting. And sooner or later, every shadow must face the light of day . . .

As I mentioned, I liked Again; The Object of Love blew me away. It's full of emotion, drama, and sensuality, and I loved every minute of it. I'm a fan of older women/younger man stories, and this one works really, really well. Sean is the same age as Lacey's son, so we're not talking the five-year (or less) gap we often see in such stories. There's a bigger age difference here, but Cullars does a wonderful job of showing that these two can make it. Sean still has some growing to do, I think, but I am optimistic about their relationship.

Lacey is easy to relate to. Her pain over her son's death is very real, and it makes her very sympathetic. As for Sean . . . well, he's terrific. He's loved Lacey for years, and he finally has an opportunity to show her. I'm not sure how she resists for so long. There's a marvelous scene near a waterfall where you see everything he's feeling. The Object of Love is easily one of the best erotic romances I've read.

Calvin plays an interesting role in the story. I wasn't sure I liked him, but he grew to be sympathetic as well. The resolution to that story is perfect. I enjoyed the way the story unfolds a little at a time.

I was sorry to hear that Cullars has no more books contracted with Kensington. I hope that changes. If it doesn't, though, I'll read her books wherever they end up.

Anyway, I'm hosting a contest with this book, The Object of Love, as a prize. Just post here and tell me about a book you read by a new-to-you author that you enjoyed. I'll select a winner on June 11.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At June 04, 2007 3:22 AM, Blogger Karen Scott said...

Oh I loved this, and I agree, even better than Again!

I think some people may have been put off by Sean's age, but I loved it. I am partial to older woman younger man romances though.

 
At June 04, 2007 11:58 AM, Blogger CrystalGB said...

I recently read Elizabeth Hoyt's The Raven Prince and loved it.

 
At June 05, 2007 4:23 AM, Blogger Stacy~ said...

Well she's not new to me, but Shiloh Walker's Hunting the Hunter. It's probably my favorite of the series.

 
At June 06, 2007 3:57 AM, Blogger Kammie said...

I just finished reading Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh. Most times when I hear so much about a book, it disappoints, but not this one. Great story!

 
At June 07, 2007 7:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read The Sense of Paper by Taylor Holden and was enthralled by it.

 
At June 07, 2007 7:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A book that was so enjoyable and wonderful was Francesca's Kitchen by Peter Pezzelli.

 
At June 08, 2007 3:18 PM, Blogger Kristie (J) said...

Don't put me in the contest 'cause I already have a copy. I just wanted to say that isn't this a wonderful book? I loved it and plan on putting up my thoughts on it very soon.

 
At June 11, 2007 11:44 AM, Blogger Charlene said...

I loved this book.

One of my favourite new books is "Blackberry Pie" by Bonnie Dee. It's a short ebook but it's really evocative of the time and place.

 
At June 13, 2007 6:51 PM, Blogger sharon said...

A wonderful novel that I just finished is Any Bitter Thing by Monica Wood.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home