A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Monday, December 27, 2004

Three More Books

I turned 34 today, and so far I've managed to avoid the painful self-analysis I sometimes subject myself to on my birthday. Instead, I dedicated myself to spending some of the flex-plan money I must use by the end of the year by buying colored contact lenses. My eyes are naturally dark brown, and I discovered that the dark color makes it impossible to get the rich blue, green, or violet colors that you see in ads for colored contacts. In fact, the best color of the five I got might be the one that makes my eyes light brown instead of dark brown. But then, I'm blind without my contacts, and I had to take one of them out so I could try the different colors. This meant I couldn't see at all very well. I'm in for an adventure in a few weeks once the new contacts arrive. It should be interesting.

Here's another reading report--again, these are shorter than usual so I can cover more books:

Forbidden by Janelle Denison: 4 out of 5.
Forbidden combines two of my favorite plot elements: cops and heroes who have loved the heroine from afar. In this case, the heroine was married to the hero's partner. When the husband is murdered, the heroine is in danger. This means, of course, that the hero must step in to protect her.

This story includes some familiar elements--Paige doesn't want to become involved with another cop, and she and Josh have to work undercover to capture her husband's killer. Still, Forbidden is well done.

Christmas on Snowbird Mountain by Fay Robinson: 4 out of 5.
This is a sweet Christmas story about two people who find love when they aren't looking for it. Susannah's mother died more than a year earlier; since then, she's been traveling and trying to complete the items on a wish list, such as performing in a ballet and creating a beautiful work of art. The latter wish brings her to Snowbird Mountain and a mosaic artist named Ryan.

Christmas on Snowbird Mountain is enjoyable largely because of Ryan. Though naturally reserved, he recognizes his feelings for Susannah and dedicates himself to making her happy. He fulfills some of the items on her wish list in a beautiful way. Susannah is more stubborn. After caring for her mother through a long illness, she avoids developing ties with anyone, but eventually she can't resist loving Ryan and his young daughter.

[Note: While looking for Robinson's website, I discovered that she died in 2002. How sad.]

The Grinch Makes Good by Alison Kent: 5 out of 5.
Another good book to read during the Christmas season or any time of year. I think I've missed out by not discovering Kent's work before this year, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying it now. The Grinch Makes Good is spectacular both for what it doesn't do and for what it does. What it doesn't do is start with a character that hates Christmas and turn him into a jolly lover of the holidays (though Duncan is a good lover--whew!). I've read stories with this plot, and they can be incredibly cheesy and unrealistic. Not so here. Instead, this story explores the lives of these two characters, Brooke and Duncan, so that we see the reasons for their feelings about the holidays as well as the reasons they are so good for each other.

The Grinch Makes Good is the best book I've read so far by Alison Kent, and I know it won't be the last.

I'm planning a long year-in-review report, which will take some time, since I'm transferring my written notes to a spreadsheet. I hope to post it later this week.

Alyssa

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At December 28, 2004 11:28 AM, Blogger lost said...

A bit late, sorry, but happy birthday! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home