A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Saturday, September 17, 2005

Millennium

I've watched all three seasons of Millennium now and thought I'd blog about the program.



Season One
Frank Black is a former FBI profiler with a unique ability to put himself in a killer's mind. This led to a breakdown, which resulted in Frank leaving the FBI. Now, he and his family, a wife and daughter, move to Seattle to make a fresh start. Chris Carter (creator of the X-Files) created the series.

Frank still uses his abilities as a consultant with the Millennium Group, which includes other former law-enforcement officers. This show is dark, violent, and gory; the first season is especially gory. I found it best to watch one or two episodes at a time. Any more was too much.

Lance Henriksen plays Frank Black, and he's perfect for this part. He skillfully portrays both a focused investigator and a man who loves his family. I love this combination. Megan Gallagher plays Frank's wife, Catherine. Brittany Tiplady plays their daughter, Jordan.

This season is my favorite of the three. Favorite episodes: "Pilot," "The Thin White Line," "Covenant," and "Lamentation."



Season Two
Chris Carter was busy with the X-Files series and movie, so he wasn't involved much with this season. I ended up liking it the least of the three. There are a few significant changes (spoilers coming ahead; click the beginning of the white space and scroll over it if you want to read it): Catherine and Jordan move out after Frank kills the man who kidnapped Catherine.

I found it difficult to accept Catherine's abrupt shift. She was so supportive of Frank's work before, and now she's hostile about it. This season also takes a mystical turn. The Millennium Group turns out to be a mysterious group with mysterious agendas. Frank is conflicted about his involvement with the group, and this conflict keeps him separated from Catherine. In the last episode of the season, Catherine dies from a virus that Frank believe was created by the Millennium Group.


Favorite episodes: "Monster," "The Curse of Frank Black," "Midnight of the Century," and "The Mikado."



Season Three
This season has big changes. Chris Carter is more involved behind the scenes. Frank is now a single parent. He also leaves Seattle and rejoins the FBI. He has a new unofficial partner, Emma Hollis.

I liked the shift away from mysticism and back to Frank investigating crimes. Emma makes a good partner. I miss Catherine, but it is also great to see Frank interact more with Jordan. The actress who plays her does a terrific job, and she has a larger role in several episodes.

Millennium was cancelled after three seasons. The third season finale is one of my favorite episodes, and while it doesn't resolve everything, it is a nice series finale. The scene near the end where Frank gets Jordan offers one of the most memorable visuals of the series.

Favorite episodes: "Borrowed Time," "The Sound of Snow," "Via Dolorosa," and "Goodbye to All That."

I enjoy this series very much. Any other fans of Millennium out there?

Labels:

4 Comments:

At September 17, 2005 7:08 PM, Blogger Angela James said...

I have NEVER heard of this show. What's it from?

 
At September 17, 2005 10:39 PM, Blogger lost said...

I loved the series, too, just enough to buy them on DVD. :) While I have never been that keen on Catherine [I felt she didn't contribute much to the series], I agree it was a bit strange for her to have that turnabout on his job. It just came out of nowhere, but I suspected it was to give her something to do. Anyhow, her departure? Heartbreaking, but very noble.

I have my favourites, but I'll be damned if I could remember episode titles! lol. Hm, time to rewatch the series, methinks. :D

BTW, the middle spoilers are showing up.

 
At September 21, 2005 3:27 PM, Blogger Alyssa said...

Angie, I didn't actually watch it while it was airing. I discovered it during a marathon the last week or so of 1999.

Anyway, it aired on Fox, I believe, from 1996-1999.

Maili, Catherine didn't do a whole lot, but I thought she was great in what she did. I agree with you about her departure.

And thanks for pointing out the spoilers.

 
At September 27, 2005 3:24 AM, Blogger Jaynie said...

I loved Season 1 - it was one of my fav programs at the time. But season 2, as you said, was not as good - I got put off and stopped watching it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home