A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Legendary Tails IV

Ellora's Cavemen: Legendary Tails IV was one of the freebies I received when I attended the Utah RWA Conference last month. There are six stories in the anthology, so I won't post the blurbs here, but I really, really liked the stories in this book: 4.5 out of 5.

The first story in the book was the one I read last--I was a bit turned off by the title: Orgasm Fairy by Ashleigh Raine. I figured the story would be about endless orgasming (read: no plot), but I'm pleased to report there is a fun story here. The bad poetry at the poetry reading made me laugh: "Only I can fertilize the swollen berries of her womanhood. . . ." It's not from the hero or heroine, by the way. Orgasm Fairy doesn't take itself too seriously and readers who want something light should enjoy it too: 4 out of 5.

Next is Marly Chance's Overcome. This story brings two former partners back together again. This story has a little of everything--suspense, adventure, and romance. I like stories where one character has to develop trust, and this is an issue in Overcome. I only wish the story were longer; there's a lot packed in these pages: 4 out of 5.

Secrets We Keep by Mandy M. Roth is the third story about two longterm friends who finally give in to what they feel for each other. I tend to have mixed reactions to alpha heroes; sometimes they border on overbearing. Dane's definitely an alpha, but I love him anyway because of how much he loves Trish and wants to protect her: 4.5 out of 5.

The next story is A Love Eternal by N.J. Walters. This story is completely fascinating, partly because of the world Walters creates. With a title like A Love Eternal, I expected a vampire romance. That's not what this is. I very much enjoyed this story of two lonely people who find love and hope in each other: 4.5 out of 5.

The fifth story is Ravyn Wilde's Keeper of Tomorrows. Like Walters, Wilde offers a unique spin on the paranormal. Although I found it surprising that the heroine responded so well to a certain transformation--I thought she might have needed more time to get used to it--the rest of the characterization made up for it: 4.5 out of 5.

Jaid Black's Seeds of Yesterday concludes the anthology and was perhaps the biggest surprise of the book. I had heard things about Black's work that made me think it would be hardcore BDSM. It wasn't. Don't get me wrong--it's plenty explicit, but there's a strong romance to ground the story. Reading this story brought tears to my eyes more than once, and I've read Seeds of Yesterday twice more since the first time. 5 out of 5.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At March 12, 2006 3:22 PM, Blogger sybil said...

hmmmm I think I have this...

adds to list to read ;) Great review thanks!

 
At March 27, 2006 11:04 PM, Blogger Alyssa said...

I hope you'll post about it when you read it. I'd love to know what you think of it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home