A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Sunday, April 09, 2006

May Romantic Times

I enjoyed Nicole's review of the April Romantic Times, so I decided to share my thoughts about the May issue, which I received this week. I'm just going to flip through it and talk about whatever interests me.

  • page 3: I'm going to get Paula Beaty's Night Stalker some time. I've seen it advertised a few times and read a few excerpts online. It sounds good.
  • page 6: Speaking as someone who's been a magazine editor, the editor's note is too long. Half that length is about what readers have patience for. In fact, the entire magazine could benefit from more white space.
  • page 9: The cover of Selena Montgomery's Hidden Sins is very nice. Makes me want to know more about the book. Guess what, Kristie? It's a book by Avon. :)
  • page 20: The segment on Rocky River Romance interests me as a writer. I came up with an idea for a romance with a hint of tarot while back. I'll check out their site to see if it's something I want to pursue further.
  • page 21: Ah, Bertrice Small. I've seen her books advertised as long as I can remember. I've never read her (or wanted to read her, if I'm being honest).
  • page 22: I'm not into the whole romance cover model thing. I know some people are, and that's great. It's just not for me.
  • page 25: I might be the only one alive who hasn't been eagerly anticipating Don't Look Down. I've read Jennifer Crusie in the past, and she's been a hit or miss writer for me. I still have a couple of her books TBR, so I figure there's no rush on this one. That might change if I see a wave of good reviews from bloggers I trust.
  • page 26: A good reminder that I planned to pick up Ellen Fisher's latest book, Kindred.
  • page 40: Werewolves of London is more proof that e-book covers are really the luck of the draw.
  • page 41: I skip the American Title feature in every issue. I think it's completely unfair to judge on one or two paragraphs as readers have been forced to do in past columns. Here, they get all of a page to demonstrate their skills.
  • page 49: We're back to Bertrice Small. Wasn't Lara in one of her previous books? If that's the case, the previous hero of the previous book is killed off so the heroine can have another one. It's not surprising I don't want to read it--Happily Ever After . . . until you're killed in the next book.
  • page 50: Diane Gaston's getting some good buzz. I'll have to read the one I have TBR, something about a mysterious M? (Sorry, I'm too lazy to look it up right now.)
  • page 51: I really like the cover of Her Scandalous Marriage. I enjoyed one of LaFoy's earlier books I read and reviewed. I may give this one a try.
  • page 66: Once upon Stilettos is coming out. Yay! I'm going to check this one out at the library if I can't wait for the upcoming RWA signing.
  • page 78: Enough already--with this and Nicole's review, I'll try Doppelganger, I promise.
  • pages 80-81: Tying this book with the first one in the series is a good ad strategy. Since I read and liked Strange Brews, I'll probably get Prince of Ice.
  • page 83: I skipped the Inspirational section. I simply haven't had much luck finding ones I enjoy. I'm open to recommendations, so if you've got any, let me know.
  • page 88: I like the cover of The World According to Ali. However, I think the author should consider getting a web domain with her name, rather than http://home.insightbb.com/etc. That would be much easier for readers to find.
  • page 89: Michele Albert's got another book out. I'm looking forward to it.
  • page 93: I'm excited to read Definitely Dead by Charlaine Harris. Charlaine, it's all right if Sookie dates Quinn now, but please, please, please have her go back to Eric eventually. Anyway, I was hoping to get this during a book signing trip, but there's not one close enough. Instead, I'm ordering the book through one of the bookstores where she is going for a signing.
  • page 102: It's nice to see RT continuing to recognize and point out blogs.
  • page 106: I like the cover of Lori Devoti's Love Is All You Need. The book looks cute and fun.
  • page 113: This page has the dubious distinction of having a mean-spirited three-star review I can remember reading. I probably wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't read the book in question. While I liked this author's first book better than this one, it's not as bad as the review suggests. What makes the review seem mean-spirited to me is that the comments about the book don't justify the rating. It's simply not fair to readers or authors to do this. (I suspect now many of you will rush to your RT to Here's a little hint about which one I mean: "This review is curious because it manages to bestow three stars without saying anything positive.")
  • page 115: I noticed Redemption because the heroine is named Alyssa. I'm going to check out the site and see if I like the excerpt.
  • page 116: I'm definitely going to pick up Perfect Timing because I like all three authors in this anthology. That's pretty rare. I wonder if I should try to wait until the RWA signing though?
  • page 118: I want Enslave Me Sweetly. Now would be good. Again showed up in my latest batch of books to review. I think it sounds interesting.
  • page 124: After enjoying Sarah Mayberry's previous book, I'm really looking forward to reading Cruise Control.
  • page 132: The cover of Sylvia Day's Misled totally kicks ass. The story is pretty good, too. ;)
  • page 134: I have Loup Garou, although I haven't read it. I'll try to get to it this month. Here's a review that got it right: Legendary Tails IV.
  • page 135: I'm adding Making Him Want It to my to-be-bought list. The cover's hot, although I'm not sure I'd be comfortable reading it in public.
  • page 136: Promises Prevail is a wonderful book.
  • page 140: I liked Futurelove more than RT did. They don't get everything right. ;)

There you have it. What did you think about this issue of RT? Share your thoughts in the comments.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At April 09, 2006 3:06 PM, Blogger Sylvia Day said...

page 115: I noticed Redemption because the heroine is named Alyssa.

psst... The heroine in MY IMMORTAL is named Lyssa. (got that from you. *g*)

;)

 
At April 09, 2006 3:35 PM, Blogger Nicole said...

This reminds me that I forgot to do my May post for this. I've actually had it for at least a week and a half.

Okay, that Beaty book cover looks kinda scary. And I wish NCP would get color ads. I dislike the huge black and white ones. I tend not to pay any attention to them.

I might have to read Strange Brews, it looks like it might be an interesting series.

 
At April 09, 2006 5:26 PM, Blogger Angela James said...

Is it likely that I know which three star review you're talking about? Would it be one that might have made my face turn an unflattering shade of purple?

 
At April 09, 2006 11:13 PM, Blogger Alyssa said...

The heroine in MY IMMORTAL is named Lyssa. (got that from you. *g*)

No. Freaking. Way. Really? That is so awesome! {Eeeeeeeeeeeeeee with excitement}

 
At April 09, 2006 11:19 PM, Blogger Alyssa said...

Nicole, I know what you mean about color ads. I probably wouldn't have noticed the book if I hadn't seen it online and read an excerpt.

Strange Brews is good. You should try it.

Angie, yes, you know exactly what review I mean. And, come on, what's up with the no matter how badly they behave (I'm paraphrasing here) business. Were there serial killers in this story that I somehow missed? I don't think so.

Obviously, since I have a book reviewing blog, I don't have problems with people expressing an honest opinion. I liked the book more than she did.

But it was the way she said it, and the fact that any compliment was so backhanded . . . this is a three book? I'd hate to see what she'd say about a one-star book.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home