The Notorious Rake
Mary Balogh's The Notorious Rake has been on my TBR shelf for a while, and today I finally felt like picking it up. It's a great read: 4.5 out of 5.
Lord Edmund Waite was everything that Lady Mary Gregg despised in a man. He was lewd, lascivious, mocking--the most notorious rake in the realm. Happily, Mary had nothing to fear from this lord of libertines. A bluestocking like her could never tempt a man whose taste ran to pretty playthings for his pleasures.
How startled Mary was to find herself the object of Lord Waite's determined desires. But even more surprising was her reaction to his shocking advances. How could she remain a lady with this man who knew so well how to make her feel like a woman . . .?
As always, Balogh's strength is with her characters. Mary is practical in most ways but she has one weakness--she's afraid of thunderstorms. This fear leads her to take shelter with Edmund and soon she's in his arms. Edmund believes that they are beginning an affair, while Mary insists it was a moment in time, one that turns into a few moments, but still . . . And so, the conflict begins.
Some readers may have trouble with Edmund. To say that he comes on strong is, at times, putting it nicely. There are certainly times when he frustrated me. These times are balanced by others, though, when we see the man behind the mask. At one point, Mary even refers to the cynical, indifferent mask he wears. I love the way his story unfolds slowly.
The last fourth of the novel is simply marvelous. From the moment Edmund sees his aunt's visitors, the story just gripped me by the throat. I read that part at my parents' house and stopped reading every few pages so I wouldn't burst into tears. :) It was beautiful.
So why wasn't it a 5? Well, I thought the wrap-up was a little too neat in one respect, and Edmund showed cruelty at moments. Still, this one is well worth reading if you can get your hands on it. A lovely story.

Labels: 4.5 reviews, a-b reviews, historical reviews

3 Comments:
I really enjoyed the part with the aunt's visitors.
I'm going to have to find this one. I feel like I might have read it long, long ago (back when I didn't like trads as much as I do now) -- but I'm not sure. And now, it sounds exactly to my taste.
Good to see you back!
Nicole, it's pretty good, isn't it?
Meljean, the funny thing is I think I might have read it too, quite a while ago. But I'm not sure either. LOL! Hope you like it and don't have too much trouble getting your hands on it.
And thanks for the welcome back!
Post a Comment
<< Home