A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Demon's Delight

Demon's Delight is an anthology I picked up at RWA. It's a solid read, though I found myself wishing a couple of the stories were longer.

From MaryJanice Davidson . . . Can a witch and a witch-hunter find common ground . . . without killing each other first?

From Emma Holly . . . A beautiful scientist in the realm of the Demon World falls in love with a human male she has experimented on--and is changed forever . . .

From Vickie Taylor . . . Zane is hell-bent on danger--the more he eludes death, the bigger the rush. Then he awakens from a near-drowning not only alive, but in the caring arms of a beautiful angel. But the ethereal Rosemary is driven by her own desires--and full of surprises.

From Catherine Spangler . . . Meet Rachel, hooker and vampire, plying both trades after hours until she meets Gabriel on the night shift. He's an angelic emissary on a mission to prove Rachel still has a sould, and to save it. But she offers him a mortal temptation he never expects . . .

I loved the concept of MaryJanice Davidson's story, "Witch Way." The hero and heroine are destined to battle each other until both die. Unfortunately, neither one wants to do it. The premise is intriguing, and I enjoyed the interaction between Chris and Rhea. However, the story could have used another 20 pages or so to make the romance more convincing. I was a bit disappointed in the love scene as well.

The next story is Catherine Spangler's "Street Corners and Halos." It was lovely to watch the wounded Rachel heal. Her backstory was intriguing, which made her a character I wanted to read about. The resolution did seem a bit too easy; however, I liked spending time with the characters, and I plan to see what else Spangler has written.

Emma Holly's "The Demon's Angel" comes next, and it's set in the same world as the story I loved in Hot Spell. "The Demon's Angel" is plenty hot, and I loved the hero. Once again, though, I would have liked to see what Holly would have done with another 20 pages. Harry and Khira have such a complex relationship simply because of the way they meet. I would have liked to see this dealt with a bit more.

My favorite story was Vickie Taylor's "Angel and the Hellraiser." Rosemary is an angel who is set to save Zane . . . if she can. At first, he appears to be a classic troublemaker; it's soon clear that there's more to him than that. Rosemary has a lot to offer him. In a nice reciprocity, she needs to learn something from Zane as well. This story brought tears to my eyes at one point. It was very nicely done.

Demon's Delight was a quick read with a nice variety of stories. They averaged out the book to be 3.5 out of 5.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home