A blog devoted to my reads, scrapbook pages, and other areas of interest.

Name: Alyssa
Location: Utah, United States

Sign Up for My Author Newsletter E-mail:  

I'm a reader, reviewer, and published author at Cobblestone Press. In this blog, I focus mainly on the books I read: primarily romance in almost every subgenre, with the occasional true-crime book thrown in for a little variety.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy preserving my photos through the art of scrapbooking. I also love scented candles, though of course I don't burn them too close to my books or scrapbooking supplies. :) I also enjoy watching A&E programs such as Cold Case Files and American Justice.

View my complete profile



Cobblestone Authors Blog
My Blog Entries at Romancing the Blog
My Book Reviews at The Romance Reader
My Favorite Blogs
My Writer Blog










Design By
Ciao My Bella

Platform By:
Blogger

Powered By:
By The Book

Image By:
Getty Images

eXTReMe Tracker

Free Site Counter
Site Counter

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

A Lick and a Promise

After Jo Leigh responded to some comments in my first Romancing the Blog entry, I decided to give A Lick and a Promise a try. I'm glad I did, even though I had problems with the book: 3 out of 5.

When conservative Daniel moves into Margot's apartment building, they're almost instantly attracted. The problem is that they seem like opposites. Margot leans toward the liberal side of things, while Daniel stays with the tried and true. Neither expects their relationship to be anything but physical, at least not at first.

What I like about the characters is how real and original they are. Daniel and Margot are real people, and I was fascinated by Margot's job as a food stylist. I always knew that food on commercials looked better than it does in the restaurant. Now I know why. :) I always appreciate stories about adults, and A Lick and a Promise focuses on the adult relationship without a lot of gimmicks some writers use.

However, Margot is a difficult character for me to like. I was distinctly uncomfortable by all the things she does to make over Daniel, and I'm glad that this was part of the book's conflict. But the story never quite overcame my mixed feelings about her. But I will certainly look for Leigh's backlist when I make my next bookstore trip. I'd like to try something else and see what I think.
Alyssa

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At March 02, 2005 4:09 AM, Blogger Rosario said...

I tend to like Jo Leigh's books because her characters usually feel young, unlike so many authors whose 20-somethings read more like 50-somethings (and extremely conservative 50-somethings, at that). She's one of the very few authors whose Blaze books I always get.

 
At March 02, 2005 8:19 AM, Blogger Nicole said...

I liked A Lick and a Promise and gave it 4 out of 5 when I reviewed it for Cata. I liked that the characters were so unique. It was rather refreshing.

 
At March 06, 2005 10:40 AM, Blogger Alyssa said...

Thanks for the endorsements. I've picked up another of her books, and we'll see what I think.

Alyssa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home