My Guilty Pleasures
I've seen a few people--Lynn M is the most recent--write about guilty pleasures. I've been giving this some thought, and I'm ready to make a few confessions.
Books
When it comes to guilty pleasure reading, the first author that comes to mind is Diana Palmer. I started reading her books in the early 1990s, and I discovered that many of her characters are interchangeable. There's always a young, innocent heroine and an older alpha hero. Often there is some kind of misunderstanding that makes the hero think the heroine is not innocent. The hero usually makes obvious comments about the fact that he is attracted to the heroine, but these comments go right over her head.
Now, I consider myself a feminist, and Palmer's books are far from politically correct. The characters seem like they are stuck in the past. Yet I find myself going back and rereading selected ones every few years. Go figure. The ones I've read several times are The Patient Nurse, Soldier of Fortune, and Coltrain's Proposal.
Movies and TV
I know there is something wrong with me, because I love Original Sin with Angelina Jolie and Antonio Banderas. The plot is overdramatic, full of passion, betrayal, and deception, yet I watch it a few times a year.
I don't actually watch a lot of TV. I have taped several episodes of Unsolved Mysteries, but that's a guilt-free pleasure. I do have some old miniseries taped, like Deceptions (with Stefani Powers) and Harem (with Nancy Travis). These shows are from the 1980s, and they look it. Ha! They're histrionic and cheesy, but I still love them.
Anyone else brave enough to share their guilty pleasures? ;)
Alyssa
Labels: life

5 Comments:
*sigh* this was going to be my next blog topic. lol Mine is reading Doc Savage books. They're so....pulp fiction. Also reading Johanna Lindsey's Angel. I love that book. My copy was originally used, so it was worn when I bought it, but I'm amazed it's held up so long.
TV guilty pleasures..I used to love to watch Highlander, Xena, Forever Knight. They were always on late at night so I'd sneak downstairs and watch.
Comics...I lost a huge amount when I moved away to college and couldn't take them with, but I do still have a few trades that I still break out and read. Fathom, Dangergirl, Witchblade, Gen13, The Kindred (is it a guilty pleasure to lust after a comic character?).
I have no shame in stating that I love B movies, comics, superhero films, soap opera SF, etc. Bring it on, baby! :D
My biggest guilty pleasure: books about philosophy, espec. the Scottish Enlightenment, Medieval and Oriental -- I rarely openly admit to this because I'm afraid of being accused of being a pretentious little git or an intellectual wannabe.
My guilty pleasure ...? I'm a TV addict. Shh, don't tell.
Well, I already spilled my dark secrets, but I'm nodding a lot as I read some of the comments here. I should have listed McNaught's "Whitney My Love" and not even the updated PC version. I liked it when Clayton spanked Whitney with the riding crop - she deserved it! She was being a total brat. And the "rape" scene - I actually appreciated it because Clayton's regret was so palpable it made me love him all the more.
*shame* Am I going to be kicked out of the Respectable Romance Readers Club?
Thanks to everyone who commented.
Nicole,
I love Highlander and the first few seasons of Xena. Never saw Forever Knight, but I know it has a devoted following.
Did you ever see the Witchblade series? The first season rocked!
Lynn,
I also enjoy Whitney, My Love. I never read the revised version, but I can't imagine that I'd like it. Don't worry--if we're drummed out of the club, we'll be drummed out together.
Alyssa
Post a Comment
<< Home